Sunday 20 October 2024

Our Plastic Raised Beds Planter Vegetables Progress.

Organic veg growing in repurposed plastic raised beds.  The leeks don't mind living in an old heating oil tank.  They taste delicious in our home grown and home made leek and potato soup.

Leeks doing well.  
Japanese or Winter onions growing in old baths.  They need weeding.  That's fym top dressing for you.  I don't mind the weeds.  It shows your ground is fertile.
Swedes.  I pick the leaves for the rabbits.
More swedes growing in cut down IBC tanks.  I of course drilled holes in them all.
The fish box container allotment in the polytunnel.
Celery for the rabbits and yours truly.
Brussel sprouts.
Japanese onions growing in a wooden decking planks raised bed in the polytunnel.

I gave the rabbits an hearty Celery breakfast.  There is only them and me that likes it.

The old oil heating tanks, IBC tanks and plastic baths and wood raised beds have been a great success for growing my veggies this year.

They drain well and the growing ground is nearer to you.

Once again my plastic raised beds demonstrate to me that you don't need to have a garden or allotment to grow organic vegetables.  All you need is something to grow them in.

Another thing is you spend your time weeding just the growing areas.

Anyone else growing their bed in raised beds instead of on the flat soil?  

They are easier on the back and they drain quicker than the ground and it some times very full water table.

I am getting older and I am trying to make my vegetable gardening easier.  I never want to stop growing my own and it's the only way of getting "fresh" vegetables and organic ones at that!



12 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you show how growing vegetables doesn't have to be complicated. Using what you have and repurposing is great, and the vegetables still taste the same, or even better, than those grown in fancy containers. Following your example, I hope to grow more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words Jules. I think I have twenty five raised beds and more to be repurposed and collected? I once grew potatoes upstairs in a plant pot in a council flat. Now I live on a smallholding with my own allotment and polytunnel and still repurpose stuff like I did in my allotment days in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my garden growing beds are raised to varying heights...with ground that gets sodden quickly...and then dries like a brick... underneath, it means that plants survive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the way to go and grow GZ. The last two Autumns, Winter and Spring have been the wettest since records began. My next job is to mulch the beds with leaves. I might chop them with the lawnmower first?🤔

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks splendid. Such a healthy crop of organic veg and easier to manage.
    Weeds show that the soil is fertile?? Great. We must have very fertile soil here then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes a lot easier to manage gardening at knee height JayCee. All those leaves you get will make lovely growing soil and compost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coincidentally, I sleep in a raised bed. It's two feet off the floor but I swear I have never left any fym in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have invisible floor hangers for my clothes at night YP. Mike Harding said God gave us belly buttons so we can peel potatoes when we are in bed! What a good idea. I would recommend washing them first and making sure they are free of fym.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you not hide a bit of celery in soup Dave? OK if you only have share with rabbits then all more for you I guess but I'm sure the goods put celery on earth for making soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind sharing my celery and swede tops with the rabbits TM. Celery soup does sound rather nice! Hmm..🤔

    ReplyDelete
  11. We like to add celery, carrots, and potatoes to our 'boiled dinners'. Slow cooked together, celery is a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good Debby. We have been discussing slow cookers today. Air Fryer bacon and chips for tea.

    ReplyDelete

Our Plastic Raised Beds Planter Vegetables Progress.

Organic veg growing in repurposed plastic raised beds.  The leeks don't mind living in an old heating oil tank.  They taste delicious in...