Tuesday 8 October 2024

More Hedging Cuttings.

 I gave a Laurel hedge a good cutting back last week.

Of course I saved some of the trimmings to make hedge cuttings.  There are over twenty of them.

Laurel hedge cuttings planted in sand.

Normally I place my cuttings in my homemade compost/well rotted fym. 

I thought I would use sand this time for a rooting medium.  I don't use sea sand because this contains salt and the plants will not like it.

Apparently Laurel is poisonous to animals and us human folk.  It gives off a Cyanide gas if you chip it in a wood chipper.  

I know if you don't cut it back it can grow up to forty feet high.  It also is not very fond of living next to the sea.  Oh well!

It will be good to compare rooting with compost and with sand.

This time of year is a good time to take cuttings.  Just dip them in organic hormone rooting powder and plant them in a pot and overwinter them in a greenhouse or polytunnel.  All they need is a drink now and again.

It's a good and cheap way of making hedging for nothing.

Anyone else making hedge or shrub cuttings at the moment?


12 comments:

  1. I've found sand good, especially if gritty enough. I've never used rooting powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes GZ it works for me. So does my homemade compost but this requires regular weeding like all garden plants do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need an instant hedge. Must try some cuttings if I can find a friendly hedge owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bare rooted hedging is very cheap to buy from November to March JayCee. If I was you I would plant an hedge that flowers. Rugosa is a rose seaside hedge that flowers and is salt tolerant. Hypericum is very nice with its yellow flowers. Or perhaps Fuchsia which thrives I the IOM, Ireland and I have seen it in Devon and Cornwall. If you lived nearer I would give you some Griselina hedging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always keep in horticulture sand, I do use it in my carrot tubs, to lighten the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marlene. I am too much of a tight wad Womble gardener to buy horticultural sand. River sand is good if yo can get it and doesn't contain sea salt. I use what ever medium I have lying around. Now is a great time to make cuttings for free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could organic hormone rooting powder be an alternative to expensive IVF treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our next door neighbour's laurel is indeed 40' high. And it falls over on to us. Fortunately it's on our NW side. We shop it off and use it to make maintain a dead hedge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh that is high Tasker. It's easy to take cuttings of Laurel. You could plant them in the dead hedge and they will probably root.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our local authorities have asked - not (yet?) ordered - people to get rid of laurel hedges, too invasive, not at all insect/bird friendly etc., so it's slowly disappearing. Often replaced by juniper, which grows really well here and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juniper does look good Sabine. Griselina (New Zealand Privet) is very popular in West Cork and Kerry. I make cuttings of it every year. It's easy to propagate from cuttings.

    ReplyDelete

More Hedging Cuttings.

 I gave a Laurel hedge a good cutting back last week. Of course I saved some of the trimmings to make hedge cuttings.  There are over twenty...