Saturday 12 October 2024

Digging Up The Well Rotted FYM From Scruffy Allotment Corner.

 

Scruffy Corner.  Here lives a big pile of fym.  It was recently covered in weeds and nettles in particular.  

"Where nettles grow.  Anything will grow".

That is an old country saying.  I suppose I could have covered the pile with a sheet of black plastic to make it sweat and kill any weed seeds?

Garden videos and books will tell you should turn your compost heap and not let it get too wet.  I just left it for twelve months to decompose and the worms and the beneficial anaerobic bacteria did the rest.

See all the lovely wriggly brandling worms.  It takes me back to my Coarse fishing days.



Black and brown gold.  Lovely friable compost and all for free.

Do you have a scruffy corner in your allotment or garden where you store your fym, weeds and grass clippings and weeds?  Plants love Mother Nature made compost.

I spent four hours potting up and making cuttings today.  Gardening need not cost you any money if you use organic methods of feeding the soil and propagating plants.



16 comments:

  1. I like the photograph of the nasturtium grazing piglets. I have only just seen it. It is very artistic. Great photo. I like the colour of nasturtiums and the spots on the piglets and the green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. Luckily I had my mobile phone to quickly take the photo. The Old Spots are characters and full of devilment and mischief. I wish I could paint or draw them like you can. Thanks Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the piglets and garden would make a good children's book. Thanks Dave.

      Delete
    2. It would wouldn't it Rachel?

      Delete
  3. Is coarse fishing where you swear all the time? "Where's me ****ing maggots mate?" "Oh **** I think I've caught a ****ing pike!" etc..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have obviously been an Angler YP? Especially when a Leviathan of a fish gets off the hook or you land your prize fish and it turns out to be a Stickleback.😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had two conical compost bins..just one half full now...and a big double compost bin made from pallets.. three-quarters full on one side, so I need to finish the roofing and slat sides to the second side...no room in the garden for just heaps I'm afraid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a pallet compost heap full of fym, weeds GZ. You can never have enough homemade compost can you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have two wooden compost bins..one is almost ready, the other is half full.
    The covenant on this place does not allow for a scruffy heap..apparently we must not have anything on the property whuch would cause a nuisance to the neighbours 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't take any notice of any covenants JayCee. The property belongs to you and P. I wish I had all those leaves that you have.

      Delete
  8. I don't have any spare space, not even a corner, my hotbin composter is not huge, it does make compost quicker. I purchase my FYM in bags, probably not as good as yours. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted my tomatoes in a raised bed in the polytunnel and spread lots of fym around them Marlene. We had the best crop ever and we didn't need any tomato food.

      Delete
  9. When we bought this house, there was a quiet corner with a pile of leaves that had been left to decompose for years. Gosh, that was lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leaf mould makes wonderful compost Debby. Well worth collecting some more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scruffy corners are good for nature, and nature is good for the garden. We are constantly being reminded to have a scruffy corner of our gardens to encourage a diverse range of wildlife. Do you have a lot of wildlife?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes you are so right TM. There is a Robin who seems very interested in the worms I am unearthing in the fym heap. There is also an hen pheasant who I sometimes disturb when I move any weeds or grass. She is not an happy bunny and gives out to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Annoying Weeds.

My weeding bucket containing Couch grass or "Twitch". I inherited this weed when I turned a cow pasture into my vegetable plot ove...