Monday 30 September 2019

Isambard Kingdom Brunel Built A Railway In Cork.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Historic-stone-culvert-from-the-1850s-is-uncovered-in-perfect-condition-in-Cork-38676d5d-d169-4310-98fe-3e3196bffda3-ds

One of my Victorian heroes was Isambard Kingdom Brunel.  He wouldn't have been concerned about some pernicious perennial root on his allotment, oh no.   This man was bordering on architectural and engineering genius.

Any road.  Or railway.  The man who built ships that crossed the oceans and connected telephone cables under the sea to India...   He also built the Cork to Midleton railway in county Cork. 

Some Irish wit once remarked that the English  built the railways and the Irish got on them and emigrated!

They still lament the demise of the  Cork, Bandon and South Coast railway in 1962.  Imagine if people could commute to Cork from down here by train?  I could go to Rock concerts, shop, watch a football match, go in Wetherspoon's or even work there.  If anywhere needs rural jobs, West Cork does.

I think my dad caught the train to Cork and caught the boat train to Holyhead in the black fifties.  He was only 17!

I read the above article today and was awestruck with the craftsmanship of the people who built this stone culvert.  It reminds me of the tale of some stone Mason carving a gargoyle  high up on the roof of some English  cathedral.   His workmate remarked:

Nobody will see that.

The stone Mason continued chiseling and said:

Yes, but God will.

Didn't  they have pride in their work way back when?

15 comments:

  1. I like a good bridge or a viaduct come to that .
    That aside ,purpose of comment is to pick your brains . As you have gathered from my blog the bug has bit and I now have poly tunnel envy .
    I have an e mail address on my blog - what are the chances , if you get a moment , of dropping me a line with some advice of which way to go . Its needs to be reasonable price wise and I don't mind improvising or some hard graft . What do you think ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Angela. Reminds me of when I was on a Employment scheme not too far from Manchester when a old supervisor showed me theoy's of dry stone walls with words like bucks and does and through stones. I bought my tunnel, three hoops for 500 Euros. First Tunnels are also very good. Course I will drop you a line. Thanks.










    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well. My dad was all Irish (half Catholic, half Presbyterian--go figure) and could not tolerate any uncraftsman type job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but God will.

    Absolutely!

    Enjoyed this post, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the quote is William Barclay quote Valerie. I use to read him every day. I am pleased you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. The Victorians did things proper Joanne. Even if it was only functional it still had to be strong enough to last one hundred and sixty years of wear and tear. I bet that culvert will be still working in another one hundred and sixty years, even longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my house is victorian and no expense was spared. The chimney pots alone are a work of art.

      Delete
  6. Yes Sol the Victorians made and did things proper. An amazing generation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pride indeed ! Your story reminds me of my Dad who left the Northside in the mid thirties by boat to glamorous Burton On Trent, some brothers & sisters stayed, a sister to San Francisco at 13 not to see her again until she was 65 years of age...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sean. My great grandfather s sister emigrated to America and worked in a big house . She was a maid. People are still leaving here for work and people move here too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He had an amazing name. Lived up to it, too. There are some canny pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gwil. Isambard had an amazing name and his engineering feats were amazing too. There are some very canny pictures of him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Montre Rolex Suisse Pas Cher, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of Montre omega Suisse Pas Cher, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which i suffered till i meet a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible mean to get cured but i never received cure from any of the 7 hospital i visited.Just Match,14,2018 i saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297 

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...