Thursday 31 August 2023

Rock Bands Inspired By Mr Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

 I got another follower yesterday - thank you!

I think only JayCee (Diary Of A Nobody) and Linda (Local Kiwi Alien) commented but nearly 400 people viewed my last post.  Thanks for reading it anyway.  I still can't join your blog JayCee.  Put it down to me being thick!

I was on good old You Tube yesterday.  I have been trying to let my blistered paws recover after all the walking with tents and rucksacks last week.

Two Rock inspired songs/videos for you to watch and listen to.  First Xanadu by Canadian Rockers Rush.  The song is based on Coleridges Kubla Khan.  I have been privileged enough to have seen Rush twice.  Sadly the drummer Neil Peart is no longer with us.  He was a lyrical and musical genius.  If you want to read an excellent motorbike travel memoir by him read Ghost Rider.


Being  a Prog Rock band the track is over 11 minutes long.  It's also called Cerebral Rock music.  You can't beat some Prog can you? Incidentally Xanadu is off their Farewell To King's album.  Recorded at Rockfield Studios in the Wye Valley in Monmouthshire in Wales.  I never got to Symonds Yat again to see the CS Lewis Shadowlands locations.  Yet again no public transport available.

A other Coleridge inspired band: Iron Maiden.  More metal than Prog.  East London's finest.  I saw them back in 1987.  Here's The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner by them:


"Water,water everywhere and not a drop to spare".

I think this track is only 14 minutes long.  Can you think of any Coleridge inspired Rock songs?

11 comments:

  1. 14 minutes is a heck of a long track! I bet you enjoyed every minute, Dave.
    PS: I have emailed you about getting onto my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all that music 'back in the day'. Not quite my style anymore but good for Dave for still rockin it.
    You need to start walking Britain's trails. Connecting of course with concerts that rock!! I've read recently about the trek along Hadrians wall and how about that one along the southern coast. Have you done any of the trails??
    I love reading about the Appalachian trail. That sounds like hard work.
    I'll look out for the book you mention Ghost Rider

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw John Cale (Velvet Underground) in Stroud last Wednesday night JayCee. Every song was loud and long. It was like being at a Prog Rock concert. Thanks for the email. Will attempt to get onto your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda. I love that era Linda for music when albums had concepts and themes. I have read some Bill Bryson books about those American trails. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first verse of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd:-

    Overhead the albatross
    Hangs motionless upon the air
    And deep beneath the rolling waves
    In labyrinths of coral caves
    The echo of a distant time
    Comes willowing across the sand
    And everything is green and submarine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks YP. I am not familiar with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would if Albatross by Fleetwood Mac was inspired by the Coleridge poem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there could be another "echo" there. I bought that single when it first came out. What a lyrical guitar player Peter Green was!

      Delete
    2. Yes I think so YP. Would love to have seen Fleetwood Mac especially with Pete Green and Stevie Nicks. Nearly saw Fleetwood Mac in Dublin a few years ago but they wanted 150 Euros for a ticket so I didn't bother.

      Delete
  8. I can't open you blog and read it at work Dave (strange security settings at work, block some not others) so I have to do catch up on work from home days. Did you Coleridge theme you trip when planning it, or is all this happy coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry that you can't open my blog at work Tiggers Mum. My friend heavily researched a lot of our trip. I offered a few suggestions like Laurie Lee Country, Tintern Abbey and we fitted in a John Cale concert and a rock festival all in 9 days.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...