Friday 1 September 2023

Fiddington and Stogursey Churches And Sad Lionesses Fans.

Nether Stowey pub notice on Saturday.  Card payers have to spend a minimum of ten Pounds.  How refreshing for a business to want cash.
Ancient cross.
Actors grave.
St Andrews Well.

Ancient tomb.
Cherub.
 On Sunday morning we decided to explore the nearby villages of Fiddington and Stogursey in Somerset.

It's lovely arable countryside and there are some 'real England' churches and homesteads.

We even found a Spar in Stogursey and around 1o'clock I bought a pork a pie and a bottle of Lucozade and asked the very pleasant  young lady how the Lionesses had got on?

"We lost one nil" She said and we both looked very sad and disappointed for a moment.  Never mind!

Here's some ancient photos for your perusal.  Hey Debby theirs a Knight in his tomb from the 1447 waiting for Judgment Day to arrive.

Tomorrow I will post some more photos of our trip.



15 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed to comment yesterday Dave. My favourite Coleridge poem is Kubla Khan because I like the fantasy of it. I am enjoying the photos of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. Great poem. Glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  2. Another fine collection of details that escape a casual tourist. There are remarkably few places where cash is still king it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Premier Inn tried to charge me 190 Pounds for a night and wouldn't accept cash in Stroud. We found a campsite with compost toilets for 10 Pounds. Lovely setting and lovely campsite owner and neighbours.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, you’ve probably already explained elsewhere but why can you only pay cash?

      Delete
    3. Premier Inn and a lot of hotels, campsites, wine bars .., refuse cash and insist on booking online and payment only by bank card. I had similar problems in Oxford and Kent last year.

      Delete
  3. You were in a beautiful spot there, Dave. It is a lovely part of the country. If ever I were to move back to England, that would probably be my preferred location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorset would be mine JayCee. Shaftesbury or Dorchester with an allotment or walled kitchen garden near a real ale pub or Wetherspoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like following you around these villages. Pity I couldn't taste the pork pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melton Mowbray pork pie Linda. I brought some English cheese back in my rucksack for wifey. She was a very happy bunny. I also sampled the Newcastle Brown Ale 🍺 on offer. Pleased you like the village photos. England is still a very beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked MM port pies when I ate meat, but am thankful I never had to live near the factory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food and drink you miss when you move to another country Tasker. We find it hard to source such delicacies here in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how old St Andrew's Well is and whether or not it was a revered place before that newcomer - Christianity came along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you are quite right YP. A lot of Celtic/ancient English shrines and Wells became Christian. Apparently the water from St Andrews Well is very good and perfectly OK to drink. Stogursey village is very nice with ancient buildings and very pleasant people. I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...