Monday 4 September 2023

So On To Chepstow, Tintern Abbey, Wild Camping And A Welsh Chapel In The Morning.

We had our breakfast in a pub chain that always gives us good value for our money.   Yes Wetherspoons.  

 We decided to move to a far away table because some one was shouting on his mobile phone and how he was explaining by swearing how violent he was going to be to the person on the other end of the phone.  It was very unnerving and the bar staff expertly removed the man from the pub.  

These bar staff and kitchen staff are so brave and handle things so efficiently.

After an hearty breakfast we headed back towards the train station.  Someone  told us there a lot of ex soldiers  with mental issues and many are homeless.

My friend very shrewdly asked the ticket seller at Taunton railway station how much the fare was to Chepstow and Shroud.  By buying a ticket to both towns individually,  we saved 18 Pounds  collectively.

The Tourist Information office in Chepstow told us about the bus station location.

So we walked up the hill to the bus station.  We passed a poster advertising Hawkwind at Chepstow on the 28th of August.  Very kindly and wisely the castle proprietor had given permission for Hawkwind fans to camp in a field free of charge.  

This reminded me of when I went to Ballyshannon Rory Gallagher Rock Festival in June.  People camped on grass verges in the centre of the town and the Garda let people enjoy themselves and camp.  People are on holiday let them enjoy themselves.

So we waited for the bus and eventually set off to Tintern Abbey:

Another place where the Wordsworths visited. I bet they never had to pay the admission price?




We didn't pay to visit  the site of the Abbey.  We did discuss which is the most beautiful Abbey in England and Wales and the rest of the UK.  My choices would be Fountains Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral.  What's yours?

We couldn't find anywhere affordable  to stay or one single campsite.  So we retired up a bridleway and pitched one tent for free.  I used my sleeping bag in its bag for a pillow.  It soon went dark and cold and we were slept on the side of an hill.  We kept sliding down the hill.  About 4 in the morning my friend realised he had lost his wedding ring.  I gave him my torch and after about twenty minutes he found the gold ring and some pound coins glistening in the torchlight.
We left no trace and I woke up in the morning shivering.  Twigs cracked, leaves fell on to the top of the tent and strange birds 🐦  made weird early morn noises.

My friend went for a walk to catch breaking Dawn Tintern Abbey photos.

At about 7 in the morning I heard something or someone running past the tent.  About ten minutes later my friend came back and said he had met the runner and he thought it was brilliant that we had wild camped.  I thought it sad that Welsh or English tourist boards couldn't provide a few basic camping facilities 

The jogger told my friend about a beautiful Welsh Chapel up from where we camped.   It was half seven in the morning and we found the beautiful old chapel.






We caught the bus back to Chepstow and settled for a breakfast .  I had a pint of Doombar and my friend had three or four cups of milky coffee.  Next train stop was Gloucester and on to Stroud and Laurie Lee Country.

I will tell you  more tomorrow .👍
 

12 comments:

  1. Swearing at breakfast and sleeping in tents? no thank you. I'll guess you enjoyed all that, but I'm a wimp. Give me an enclosed home with heating and soft beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm appreciating my house, land , livestock, seaview and creature comforts River. My next trip will be Portugal staying in apartments, villa or hotel. No more camping for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the apparent fact that your adventure was only loosely planned. You were prepared to "go with the flow".

    O sylvan Wye! thou wanderer thro' the woods,
    How often has my spirit turned to thee!
    from "Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, On Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour. July 13, 1798" by William Wordsworth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes loosely planned with rucksacks, tents, cash and a will to explore on foot and public transport places visited by visionaries and poets YP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a Boys' Own type of adventure. No girls allowed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a struggle JayCee. Little sleep and my feet blistered yet again. I don't think there would be many females who would want such a roughing it holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always fascinated by the ruins of these old castles/fortresses. The years have battered them, but they stand still, clutching on to as much of their former glories as they can. I can't wait to hear tomorrow's installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sum them up perfectly Debby. Tomorrows post will feature a ex Velvet Underground member and some cider with out Rosie.

      Delete
  8. You're brave to camp there. I would never be able to do that! Love your photos of these beautiful old places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had no choice Ellen. There was nowhere else to stay and the last bus had gone. We lived to tell the tale. It's a pity they don't have campsites with so much green grass near the Abbey and village. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More great travel stories. I have been to Tintern Abbey . So long ago I can hardly remember it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Linda. I would love to jog your memory of your visit there. It's a lovely place. It's builders must have been incredibly talented and skilful stonemason and stone workers.

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...