Thursday 7 September 2023

Train To Nottingham And Caveman Dave Staying In A Hotel.

 The morning after the John Cale concert we discussed our plans for the day.  My friend suggested we book another night on the campsite and I could rest and he would walk into town and get some food.  But in the end we decided to head for town and have breakfast (pint of Doombar or Newcastle Brown Ale 🍺  with a full English, then catch the train to Nottingham.

I turned my mobile phone on and texted wifey to see if she could book us a room for tonight in the hotel?  

We had already booked two nights back in February when my friend found out that Blue Oyster Cult were headlining a festival in Nottinghamshire.  I last saw them in 1988 on their Imaginos tour and wouldn't  miss seeing them again for anything.

Wifey text me back saying she had booked and paid for the same room that we could stay in for three nights without moving but she had to pay by card they would not accept cash payment by my good self.  No-one seems to want filthy lucre in England anymore.  My friend assures me this is a Southern thing and there are no problems paying cash in Lancashire when he goes back.

It was good to know we would be staying 3 nights in a room with a bed, bathroom and a light and a socket and somewhere to charge my mobile phone.  It would be good to have a break from being Caveman Dave for a change! Anyone remember Stig of the Dump?  I think I might be related?

Some pretty pictures of a quaint Nottinghamshire town tomorrow and then it's the Rock Festival..


15 comments:

  1. I bet your feet appreciated three nights rest in a hotel.
    Is Nottingham classed as Down South???

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did until I was stood them all day at the Rocj festival JayCee. I once built half a golf course with a lad from Dewsbury in Yorkshire called Mick. Mick assured me tat anyone self of Sheffield is a Cockney. He was very funny and quite a character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been piking dung and my phone typing skills are shaking today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will have to accept hotel bookings and the like are by card only Dave, it is the way of things and convenient for on-line and phone bookings. B&Bs will no doubt continue to accept cash so there lies your future. I am glad you were able to have a rest and a clean up and I look forward to hearing more of your Nottingham Rock Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good points Rachel. I don't like this modern world. There's no trust or help for people who still wish to pay cash. I like to book things on impulse not months in advance. I will write about Newark tomorrow and Saturday thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an impulse person too Dave. I have a credit card hidden away with me for any situation where cash won't work or I need to get home quick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps I need to get a credit card Rachel? I had a Revolut card but no money in the account in case of an emergency I could have text them to put money on it like I did last year In Oxford Travelodge. Fortunately that was in the day time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There'a nice bakery near us and they have not accepted cash since The Plague* struck.
    *= COVID

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do accept barter? Who would ever believe we would live in a world where nobody wants cash? What happened to "Cash is King?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was all about the Australian tennis player - Pat Cash.

      Delete
  10. Or the Country Western singer - Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was money one reserved for condoms.

      Delete
    2. Change from a condom machine? I thought public hair was Bugs Bunny's cousin. Pubic hare? Never mind.😊

      Delete
  11. Must have been a real relief for your feet. At least they held out till the end of the rock concert.
    They still accept cash here because it means the tax dept. won't know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your last sentences were exactly my thoughts Linda. I met a lady farmer on my travels. She even said she likes to sell some things for cash. My feet killed me at the Rock festival but it was a great day and Blue Oyster Cult never let you down. They're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...