Monday 26 August 2024

Smallholding Happenings When I Was Away In Blighty.

 I communicated a lot to family via Whatsapp when I was over in Blighty.  We texted, phoned and sent photographs during my thirteen day absence:


Two litters of piglets were born.


Heidi the German Shepherd celebrated her third birthday and she had her very own birthday cake.  

Diesel the Bernese Mountain dog in the background celebrated her second birthday with sausages, mashed potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings ( her favourite) and her very own birthday cake last Thursday night.

Tomatoes reddened that I grew from seed and planted the plants in the polytunnel soil that I barrowed generous amounts of fym in.  No bought tomato food or artificial fertilizers were used to produce such fresh and tasty tomatoes.  Our cup/bucket runneth over with tomatoes this year!

It was good to keep up to date with things via my mobile phone.  How did we ever manage before we had the technology?

12 comments:

  1. It is great to keep in touch when away, but I sometimes think It would be nice to leave everything behind and have a true break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Marlene. I live for my polytunnel, plants, vegetables and livestock. There is nowhere I would rather be than in the garden or polytunnel. I have been taking Griselina cuttings this morning and potting them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I object to being eaten by Diesel the Bernese Mountain Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She loves potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings YP. I even had a dance with her on her second birthday. She likes : "The Last Waltz" by Engelbert Humperdinck and wants to go to Peru to see the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have been very comforting to see those great photos when you were far away. Love those little piglets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was comforting to turn on my phone and read the messages and see the photos from West Cork JayCee. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly beats having to write down your itinerary, including emergency contact numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also do that and have print outs for my flight tickets and National Express coach tickets. I leave nothing to chance Jules. I think there will be a blog post about the none existant ticket office when I get to Kent. Life can get complicated when there is not much battery power on your mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much going on at home. Your tomatoes look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is always something going on at home Linda. 13 days was too long a trip with 11 days camping and two nights in a Travelodge. The tomatoes have done really well. I sowed them from seed and planted the plants in the polytunnel in heavily applied fym. That's all they got along with sunshine and well water. Very solid and firm and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister planted her usual number of tomato plants, probably 20 or so. She ended up with 2 tomatoes. It was the worst tomato year she's ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. It is disheartening when crops fail Debby.

    ReplyDelete

Harvesting The Purple Rain Potatoes.

 I dug up the Purple Rain potatoes that we grew in my new plastic fym filled cut in half oil heating oil tanks. They looked muddy and pebble...