Friday 21 June 2019

Parsnip Seed Germination Persistance.

Philip from Notes From A Suffolk Smallholding (great blog) posted a blog about growing Parsnips on June the eleventh.  We haven't had much success growing them this year.  I think its because we sow them at the traditional sowing time of February.  Saying that February was a very good month here in Ireland and the week we went to Portugal.

I use to grow beetroot for my mum and parsnips for my dad.  But now they live in the great allotment called Heaven.  We haven't tried to grow them any more until this year that is.  I have ONE growing in the veg plot and one I found growing in a plastic module tray in the polytunnel.  I have potted on into a bigger pot and named it 'Persistance' the parsnip.


Persistance my pet parsnip!  Isn't she lovely?  Must be sexist to vegetables!



Sowing and germination the Notes From A Suffolk Smallholding Way.  Ten days instead of the usual 28.  Thanks Phillip for the tip. See the little white tails on the parsnip seeds.
Twenty germinated parsnip seeds popped into a plant pot full of Bulrush potting compost.  I like this compost for potting up my cuttings, seeds and divided perennials.  What compost do use?  I find a lot of the cheap composts use peat and it forms a crust when it dries out.

Parsnips are members of the carrot family.  I once made a great parsnip and carrot bed when we had allotments in Blighty.  I stood some two x two paving slabs on end and a couple of inches in the ground and made a rectangle shaped raised bed.  Then I filled it with sieved top soil and river sand (some sand contains salt, especially if its from the coast) and we had whopper carrots and parsnips that year.  Any vegetables that you struggle to grow?


11 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave. Hope they grow as well as mine have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no longer grow carrots they are never any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grow them in compost in a big plant pot Sol. Old Mr and Mrs carrot fly can't fly above twelve inches. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Philip for the excellent parsnip sowing tip. I can't understand why its always been recommended to sow parsnips in February.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vegetable we once did not struggle to grow: Over thirty or forty years of growing and composting the clippings, my parent's lawn was many inches above the sidewalk. My brother removed the sod, took the intervening dirt up to his garden that year. That year and the next several, his garden outdid itself. It took the whole family to preserve the produce. From fewer than a dozen plants, we canned eight hundred quarts of tomatoes. It never ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. Compost is very important in achieving good harvests. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I am glad Philip encouraged you to grow the parsnips. May they do well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rachel. Its good to learn new ways of growing things. Parsnips can take 28 days to germinate and cress can take a couple of days. I think February is too early to grow parsnips outside. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through you, I have learned the importance of good compost. Pity I didn't know things when I was able to work in the garden. I have been able to pass on a few tips to my next door ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie. Its all trial and error with gardening. John Innes number three is my favourite compost. Its got loam soil in it. The old estate gardeners use to use mole hill soil for compost. Thanks Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suffering from herpes is a Terrible Experience which i suffered till i meet a herbal doctor called Dr. KHAM. I tried all possible mean to get cured but i never received cure from any of the 7 hospital i visited.Just Match,14,2018 i saw a recent post of how Dr. Kham herbal medicine cured people and that he is a honest man to work with in the procedures on finding a cure, then i contacted him in trial and he sent me a herbal medicine with the full prescription oh how to drink for two weeks and i exactly followed the guidelines that was given to me by DR. KHAM to cute the long story short the herbal medicine flushed out my whole system and make the herpes virus inactive all thanks to Dr. Kham who God is using to cure people of this terrible virus (herpes simplex virus) for anyone here that has herpes or other kinds of disease and Virus should mail all his or her complain to DR. KHAM on his email which is (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com) or whats app him on +2348159922297 

    ReplyDelete

Seconds Out. Round Two.

 I beat the cats 4 2 last night.  But something had been digging in 2 of the parsnips and carrots 🥕 barrels. Thanks for you comments and ad...