Sunday 25 April 2021

The Game With The Sticks.

"The game with the sticks" is what Domino calls Snooker.   Like myself he goes snooker loopy at this time of year.  Especially when the World Snooker tournament is being played at the Crucible in Sheffield at the moment. Here he is in action:


Domino can't understand where the snooker balls go when they are potted.  

I attempted to explain the etymology of Snooker to him.  Domino just yawned.   I told him that the word Snooker is a British army term.  Billiards it's predecessor was originally designed to be played outside in the sun in India.  That's why the green felt or baize is supposed to look like grass.  

Any road or anyway.  The Monsoon season began and they carried the table inside and the the game of Snooker was invented.  Mulligatawny soup, Indian Pale Ale and Snooker all products of the British Empire in India.  Not many people know that.

Unfortunately Domino's snooker hero and mine Ronnie " Rocket" O'Sullivan  lost on Friday night.  So we are pinning our hopes on Judd Trump now.  He plays with an attacking style like Ronnie, Jimmy White and Alex Higgins.  The true entertainers.

12 comments:

  1. Is Judd Trump's nickname "The Donald"? I bet I have snookered you with that question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that there is a lot of skill involved but it seems to me to be one of the least exciting pastimes shown on TV. Perhaps it is just a "woman" thing to find snooker boring??
    We have lots of Indian-derived words in use in today's English language don't we? Bandana, dungarees, juggernaut, pyjamas, plus loads more. I love finding out where/how words originated. It is quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Juddernaut", "Ace in the pack", "Mr Haircut 100." All Judd Trump nicknames YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were a top snooker player I wonder what your nickname would be? "Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Dave "The Propagator" Northsider!"

      Delete
    2. I am very good at potting YP.😊

      Delete
  4. Totally agree with you about where words come from JayCee. It's fascinating. I believe Hooliganism is named after a notorious Irish family called Hooligans who caused havoc in the East End of London in the nineteenth century.

    Snooker is a science like cricket is. In Snooker room temperature can determine the speed of the balls and impact of the cushions... In Cricket cloud cover can make the ball spin and deviate..

    When we the Euromillions I am going to have a full sized Snooker table and a walled kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has a pool table in his basement. I am not much of a player. I got snookered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool to have ones own pool table in your basement. Some homebrew and a jukebox would make it into the ultimate man cave Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does have his brewing things there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember you mentioned your son's homebrew making in a previous post Debby. It's good to be resourceful. I have attempted brewing my own but I can't say I was happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...