Thursday 18 March 2021

West Cork Sangria.


We made some Sangria on St Patrick's  day afternoon.  We've not drank any since last summer.  It's  a drink we discovered the first time we went to the Algarve.

A lovely South African bottle of  Stellenbosch wine was on offer.  We made the Sangria with the wine, whisky, lemonade, chopped, apples, lime and bananas and even strawberries.  Strawberries in March? 

So what's the West Cork connection?  It was made in West Cork.🍇😊  Bananas don't  grow in West Cork.  But Furze, Fuchsia and soft rushes are prevalent.

It's  a great  way to celebrate St Patrick's day.  Don't know if we will get to the Algarve this year.  But it felt like it!

Do you make Sangria? 

 It's a lovely drink on a sunny March day down here on the Irish Riviera.  The old currant bun is shining in the sky again today.  I think I'll make some more Sangria tonight.  Cheers!















15 comments:

  1. To enjoy sangria to the full you must dress like Spaniards. Mrs Northsider needs a flamenco dancer's dress and a mantilla and you need a matador's outfit, castanets and a sombrero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My answer to your comment is below the bike shed YP.

      Delete
  2. We used to make sangria quite often when we lived in Tenerife back in the 1980s. All the fruity additions and fizzy water made their rough red wine taste better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JayCee. A Portuguese beach bar owner said that you can put whatever you like in a Sangria. I drink it like it's pop.😊

      Delete
  3. Years since I had sangria - but then I don't drink, so it would be... I like the idea of a West Cork version though - perhaps there's a Welsh one too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't drink? Gosh. We had a dry October last year. My body felt good but I didn't like not having a drink to relax and socialize. I am sure you could invent a Welsh Sangria. Gin is very popular over here and it doesn't have many calories either.

      Delete
  4. Zee YP. I'll have a pint of what you've had.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buen día señor. ¿Dónde está la corrida de toros?

      Delete
    2. Ole.

      Even the children in Spain can speak Spanish. Amazing isn't it?

      Delete
  5. That sangria sounds like a mighty good drink for any day. We put vodka in ours.
    It does need a good wine we've found. Some of the local plonk just doesn't hit the spot.
    I've been watching , listening to, Celtic Thunder. They popped up after I watched your video from yesterday . How come I'd never heard of them . They're talented, good to look at,amusing and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda. The Portuguese lady bar owner used, red wine, port and a honey drink, lemon, lime and orange juice.

    Celtic Thunder remind me of the High Kings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shove over. I need a snort of that. Yeah, I know I have paint in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here Debby have a 🍷 of Sangria. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, friend. Put on some Dropkick Murphys, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer Thin Lizzy but seeing that you are the guest,I will.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...