Sunday 13 February 2022

Another Visit To The Limerick Greenway from Templegantine To Abbeyfeale.

We went back to the magnificent newly purposed Limerick  Greenway on Saturday.  I had chosen a five mile or nine Kilometers route from Templeglantine to Abbeyfeale.

It had been a horrendous night of heavy rain in our province of Munster and I found a  Army and Navy type stores in county Limerick.  The proprietor was really amiable and he told us how he's having to source his supplies in Europe due to Brexit.   I purchased some waterproofs and the wife dropped me off at the Greenway sign near Templeglantine.

It's  not far from the Devon Arms Hotel where we once stayed for a night when the children were very young and they laid a red carpet outside from the hotel to the brides wedding car.  She walked like a model on a catwalk.

Please click on the photos to enlarge them:

 















I walked past walkers, dogs, cyclists and runners.  About twenty in total.  About seventeen spoke and three didn't.   It's  cost ten million Euros to repurpose the old railway line to a Greenway.  The wife went shopping and I phoned her to pick me up at Abbeyfeale train station car park.  I walked over six miles in total and it took me an hour and fifty minutes.  I stopped several times to talk to a Pheasant and take all the photos.  It was a good walk.

I can see tremendous tourist potential and it should attract visitors from near and far.  I hope the local landowners open campsites and b and b and glamping and there are hotels in the nearest towns.   If you're in county Kerry why not pop over the border into neighbouring Lìmerick and walk or cycle or run the Greenway.

It would be good to see a refreshment van/cafe "Dave's Dogs" burger van or even a few cans of cold beer or minerals for sale.

There's an old Lancashire saying: " Spoiling the job for an happence of tar." You can't say that about the new Limerick Greenway.  It's a magnificent job and a jewel in Limerick's walking crown!  Well done!




4 comments:

  1. Very impressive, but no photos of you in your new waterproofs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No JayCee and it didn't rain either and I walked the Greenway in trainers or "the runners" like they say in Hibernia. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely walk. I'd say more but the phone, or Google, is playing up making it very hard to comment. Wish I could get my photos to enlarge like yours. So much more enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is LA. It's great to see people of all ages and walks of life appreciating the great outdoors and getting fit in the process. Thanks for your comment. I hate it when the gremlins stop us commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...