Saturday 5 February 2022

Inside The Polytunnel In February.

J bought some onion sets and seeds from the German garden centre and beer providers the other day.  

We only water the over wintering perennials once a week at the moment.

Fortunately I still had two bags of cheap compost left over from last year because it's difficult to source compost at this time of year.

So I filled some large plant pots with compost and J sowed onions, carrots and radishes with parsnips.  Parsnips can take up to twenty eight days to germinate and the radish germinate within 6 or 7 days and make good markers to show you where the parsnips seeds are.





The radishes have put in an appearance already and it's great that things are starting to happen so earlier in the year.

Living in such a wet and inclement climate like Ireland I think a polytunnel is imperative for the year round gardener and you can potter about when it's blowing a gale or the Atlantic wants to cover you with rain.

Using large plant pots means that anyone can grow vegetables without necessary having a garden or allotment.  We once lived in an upstairs flat and I grew new potatoes in a large plant pot.

Have you started sowing or planting and growing your vegetables yet?








10 comments:

  1. That's a clever idea to use radishes as markers.
    Once we get our new garden sorted I would like to think about growing some veg, but it would have to be in pots as there is less space here than in our previous garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. Yes Radish are very fast germinators. You will have to tell P to make you some raised beds. Growbags and large plants are perfect growing mediums to.

      Delete
  2. I've bought onion sets, ready to plant in modules first, but looking at planting dates for last year, will probably wait a week or two - plus, I need some bags of compost. We do have plenty of compost to go on the beds, but I prefer bag compost for seeds. Nice to see some bright days recently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi the Veg Artist. I'm going to plant my onion sets in the plastic fish boxes I filled with homemade compost. I agree is a good bought compost is better for starting off seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,good idea with the radish. I have planted my onions and banana shallots in modules ,from seed. I sow 3 or 4 seeds in each space. They are all up, later in the season when they are large enough, I will plant them outside in their clumos. They grew well last year and I still got mainly large onions.
    I have to finish my fruit tree pruning soon, in the tunnel, or everything will be shooting.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy. Last year I started the onion sets off in modules in the polytunnel but it's that mild this year I think I will plant them soon straight outside in the fish boxes filled with home composted compost. We have perennials in flower and you have been very busy. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is something to consider: Potatoes, onions, leeks can be planted in the fall. They winter underground and begin growing again in the spring. From my own experience, I can tell you that rabbit nibbled cabbage does the same. I wonder if it would work for you, as well. I'll be away, but my sister has kindly offered to start my tomatoes and peppers for me when she starts her own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting how some vegetables winter underground Debby. I grow Japanese onions and they don't mind rain or even snow. Potatoes originate in the Andes and onions came along the silk road from the middle east. It's great that your sister will start your peppers and tomatoes while you are your trip. Rabbit nibbled cabbage would be a good name for a variety of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your last question makes me feel guilty because the answer is "No!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plenty of time yet YP. You can start vegetables like tomatoes from seed in the kitchen now. I planted white onion sets in plastic modules yesterday in the old polytunnel. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Seconds Out. Round Two.

 I beat the cats 4 2 last night.  But something had been digging in 2 of the parsnips and carrots 🥕 barrels. Thanks for you comments and ad...