Thursday 18 July 2024

Digging In The Compost Pile.


 "Is it hot or is it me?"

It was blazing hot in my polytunnel today.  So I decided to take my trusty fork and dig in one of my compost piles. The one that I showed you the Nasturtiums camouflaging, remember?

One removed any fresh and decaying vegetation and forked it into the next bay and began digging up the brown gold.

I filled up one of my big black weeding containers.  It's a big planter that potted trees come in.

The brown gold had a few healthy brandling worms and no doubt lots of useful anearobic bacteria and plant food.

I broke it up and filtered it through my fingers:

Lovely stuff.  Tightwad compost made by Mother Nature and dug and treasured by yours truly.

Remember my Cotoneaster plant cloches?  Well I have 20 rooted plants now and I potted up the plants in my home made potting compost:


A new plant in my new homemade potting compost.

Do you make your own compost/ plant food?





14 comments:

  1. All good stuff there. No baskets of weeds then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy baby plants JayCee👍.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. You are like those cards people used to collect out of cigarette cards or tea packets: The Gardening Year. We need an album to put them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here most days Tasker. I am a bit of a gardening anorak aren't I? Gardening For Nowt will be my next book.😊

      Delete
  4. That is really good compost. Your plants will love it. And you've got sunshine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda. It rained last night and rain before seven means dry by eleven. A really pleasant day outside and sweltering humidity in my Polytunnel. The compost is wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing stuff GZ. You can never have enough of it. I might fill another bucket tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I do make my own compost. Any vegetable waste from the kitchen goes in the compost + spent/used compost + grass cuttings and certain weedy plants like comfrey. I call it Yorkshire Pudding No.2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good YO. Our compost goes via the rabbits, pigs, ponies and hens and ducks first and any weeds that are nor palatable go in the compost bays. Not forgetting seaweed and any leaves I can collect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. You can call me YOYO if you want because I go up and down and I taste like a chocolate covered biscuit.

      Delete
  10. I have a hotbin composter in my small patch, it makes the compost much quicker, I can dig out compost twice each year, not enough, I still purchase a couple bags of FYM, but I'm please to be making any and not paying the council to remove my garden waste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to read Marlene. I have been mixing my homemade compost with sand today to make it go further. Also I potted up 4 plant pots and planted shrub and Persicaria cuttings and put on their plastic pop bottles cloches. It's horrible that plant waste goes in landfill when it can be composted.

    ReplyDelete

The Kilns At Last!

 We caught the bus to Oxford and booked in at a cheap Travelodge next to a Park and Ride. It was great to charge my phone, shower and sleep ...