Sunday 17 April 2022

A Bit Of Prog At Easter.

 I haven't wrote a post about Prog Rock for a while.  Why make a record unless it's more than ten minutes?

One band who I  was mad on when Fish when was the lead singer was Marillion.  Script For A Jesters Tear and Misplaced Childhood were Prog Rock music Canons in my humble opinion.  People often called them 'the poor man's' Genesis.  But I think the Alex Harvey Band must have been a great inspiration and influence.  

Marillion were named after the Tolkein novel 'The Silmarillion'.  I saw them live at Milton Keynes Bowl at their 'Garden Party'in 1986 with Fish and in 2017 at 'The  Night Of The Prog' at Loreley in Germany with Steve Hogarth.  

Steve Hogarth composed 'Easter' when he was lead singer of the Europeans.  It's about the troubles in Northern Ireland and his band played there and he was warmly received and it's about how ordinary people just wanted to enjoy the music and their lives and WB Yeats poem ' Easter 1916' was a big influence. I love the lyric : "A time for the blind to see".

Enjoy your Easter and here's 'Easter' by Marillion:




4 comments:

  1. That's a great song with well-constructed musical accompaniment. I had not heard it before so thanks for sharing Dave. It alters my suspicions about Marillion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it YP. Parts of the video are filmed on the Giants Causeway. I am a big fan of Fish their former singer who I saw at At A New Day Festival in Kent in 2019. I think Marillion are one of the best Prog bands from England along with the ilk of bands like ELP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all what i expected when i hit 'play' but great music. Thanks for expanding our enjoyment today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great Prog Rock band Tigger. Glad you enjoyed the track.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...