Sunday 10 April 2022

Four Bags Of Turf And A Turkey Plate Made In Japan.

Can you guess where we went again this morning?  No not Japan.

Yep.  Another car boot sale.  Usual walk around again a few times.  

Bought four bags of hand dug turf (peat) for  ten Euros.  I wasn't good at metalwork but me thinks that's 2.50 a bag.  Very reasonable.  Oh what pleasant aromas will leave the stove and chimney tonight.


 
A  oldish Turkey plate or platter with Japan printed on the back.  Before1921 Nippon was usually printed on the back of the plates.  I asked the lady how much for the Turkey plate? She said "fifteen Euros".   I told her I would think about it.  She replied : "Give me 12 and I'll put it in a bag for ye". The deal was done.

They go from thirty Euros upwards.  Google them and see what Antiques shops sell them for.  Some go for over 100 Euros/Pounds.

If that plate could speak? All those Turkeys and Christmas dinner celebrations and feasts it's witnessed.

Dunno where it will live.  But it's another addition to my Japanese pottery collection.

Another productive morning.  Wifey bought ten new tea towels for ten Euros.  She was pleased with her purchases.  Have you been to a carboot sale this weekend





12 comments:

  1. And here was I thinking that plate had held the head of Ali Pasha or a crafty Turkish Sultan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to disappoint Linda. Just a plate for that poultry bird that originated in America and was introduced to Ireland in the 17th Century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm turning green here, not sure how much more I can take of these bargains, lol And the season has only just begun. You will end up not being able to get indoors for the bargains, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collecting is an addiction Briony. I have been looking in skips, charity shops, flea markets and car boot sales all my adult life. I said to someone selling me something:"you never stop collecting".

    He replied: "Of course not".

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must go to the creme de la creme of carboot sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just walk around until I see something that I like or feels right Debby. Antiques collecting is probably cheaper than it's ever been. Homes are much smaller these days and younger generations are shopping for flat pack furniture and shopping at Scandinavian stores. People are clearing out older relatives houses and there is still collectibles to be found for a very reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is JayCee. You can buy peat candles that let off the peaty aroma in your house. It's a reminder of rural Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely plate, just in time for an Easter Turkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the veg artist. Or even lamb is also traditional Easter food.

      Delete
  9. Oh my good man, I am far too sophisticated to shop at car boot sales where the sellers are as uncouth as the buyers with their sharp elbows and coarse expressions. We only shop at Fortnum and Mason or if desperate, we will occasionally nip into Waitrose. Tally-ho!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know Mr Pudding. But you may find a lost painting by Von Klump.

    ReplyDelete

Growing Parsnips In Big Plant Pots

  I watched a different YouTube video about growing  parsnips the other day.   I cut off the bottoms of some small plastic plant pots and  p...