Sunday 12 March 2023

Polytunnel Potatoes Planting Time

 I planted my seed new potatoes this weekend.  The outdoor ones will get planted around Paddies Day.  The traditional time for planting early spudatoes in Hibernia or even Ireland.

Regular readers will remember the six  potatoes plant bags I used and bought at a carboot sale for 5 Euros last year.

I put a few inches of top soil in the bags and made holes and planted on average 3 seed potatoes to the bag.

British Queens purchased from our local German Garden Centre and beer providers and supermarket.  

Planting up the potatoes 🥔 bags.  Covering them again with the soil and I gave them a good watering of  Adams Ale.

Any one started off their 'indoor' seed potatoes yet?

8 comments:

  1. I wanted to plant my seed but she wouldn't let me.I wouldn't have minded - indoors or out - as long as there were no nettles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where nettles grow anything will grow YP.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure about planting potatoes..I might do one bag just for a special treat, but my garden space is fairly limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only grow earlies GZ. It's amazing how much you can go grow in bags and containers.

      Delete
  3. The potato bags are a good idea. I made the mistake of putting potatoes into a pot that had held something else and there's no room in it for topping up the soil as they grow. If I get any potatoes at all that will be good enough for me, but if I try again next year I will do it the right way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some gardeners grow them in only car tyres River and stack them whilst they grow and fill them with soil.

      Delete
  4. P has his bags all prepared and ready with compost and soil but hasn't yet planted the potatoes. He says it is still too cold and wet at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JayCee. I have planted mine in the intact part of the polytunnel and the outdoor new potatoes are going in before Friday. The trenches are already dug and the seaweed is spread. It's back to the Monsoon season down here on the Irish Riviera. Just for a change.

    ReplyDelete

They Taste The Same.

 According to Professor Google 22 billion Pounds is spent on bread and cereal in the UK (not forgetting England) every year. So what do you ...