Sunday 24 December 2023

German Food.

 We were not keen on the look of Tapas and we don't eat fish unless it's cod and in batter. From  yonchipoyle.

Fortunately we found an excellent German cafe bar and here's some of the meals we tried:

Bratwurst in a curry sauce.  It's called Currywurst in Germany. I was looking it up on T'web and Tinternet  and apparently a Berlin lady traded spirits with British soldiers at the end of WW2 for Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and she came up with Currywurst. A British German recipe 😋 me 🤔 thinks.

   I was the only one to try this and J stuck to her trusty sandwich and chips.


Beef Goulash with red cabbage.  The meat was so tender.
Berlin Meatballs with mustard and a few vegetables. 
Chips in a basket and a ham and salad for wife and a pint of Dorado Tenerife lager for yours truly.  It was less than 3 Euros a pint and diesel ⛽️ was 1.22 Euros a litre.  It's 1.69 here in Ireland 🇮🇪.   

We went there four times and the food and drink was excellent.  Rather like when I went to Germany in 2017 to the Night Of The Prog Festival and saw lots of Prog Rock bands and Marillion for the second time.  I also talked to the German cafe bar owner about Michael Schenker and The Scorpions.  



15 comments:

  1. I'd any of that, probably all of it! It's even cheaper there than it is in Greece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cigarettes and alcohol and car fuel is very cheap in Tenerife compared to Ireland and the UK.

      Delete
  2. I'd Eat. It disappeared too fast

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Currywurst was very different Linda. We are going to have a go at making it. I noticed yesterday that Aldi and Lidl sell the sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed out on some very tasty Tenerife specialities Dave!
    Albondigas (meatballs), croquetas ( mini fried croquettes), ropa vieja (hearty meat stew) papas arrugadas (baby potatoes boiled in sea water and served with a green or red piquant sauce. All very yummy...and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the papas arrugadas JayCee. Food and drink prices are very cheap in Tenerife compared to where we live. I couldn't get over how many local people smoke. Perhaps it's because cigarettes are so cheap? Two hundred Benson and Hedges cigarettes were 44 Euros.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of talking about Michael Schenker and The Scorpions, perhaps you could have discussed with German bar owner what happened to HItler at the end of the war. Did he die or did he escape to South America?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought him and Eva opened a wool shop in Haworth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously YP. Did you know Hitler's half brother had a hotel in Liverpool and he use to go to there for his holidays?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't know that until this evening. It seems that Hitler's half-brother married an Irishwoman called Bridget. Happy thoughts on Christmas Eve.

      Delete
    2. It's an incredible true story YP. Have a great Christmas.

      Delete
  9. I cannot quite wrap my head around the idea of brats in a curry sauce. Like your lady, I would have stuck with a sandwich, being a cowardly custard! Merry Christmas to both you and Mrs Northsider.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Currywurst is delicious Debby. Merry Christmas to you and to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The food does look deleicious, I thought Currywurst was curry flavoured sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's the sauce River. We're going to try making Currywurst.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...