Tuesday 1 March 2022

The Rogue New Potato Polytunnel Experiment.


 I noticed some rogue Orla new potatoes plants growing in my veg plot.  I had obviously not dug them all up last year.  So I thought: "Hmm .... " 


Then I carefully dug six of the plants complete with their seed potatoes and decided to be resourceful and planted them in the homemade compost filled polystyrene packaging that my son's welder came in.  It's been a great planters  for the last few years.



Six instant new potatoes plants growing in the polytunnel.


Another one of my tight wad gardening ideas.  Have you ever transplanted potatoes from outside into your polytunnel or greenhouse? 

Hopefully these will be ready within less than twelve weeks to harvest and eat.  Usually they are ready when it's Scorchio and you hear your self saying: " It's too hot for potatoes" and "Is it hot or is it me?"

12 comments:

  1. Surely it can never be too hot for potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is when it is Scorchio JayCee. Jack Frost and his missus have been painting in the gardens this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to colleens on The Sheep's Head Peninsula, you are always hot Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish YP. They call us Blow Ins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have never had a polytunnel or greenhouse. F had a sort of plastic covered hutch on our concrete patio that she used to try and raise seedlings in. I used it as a conservatory, and if she zipped it closed to stop me lying on the seed trays, I used to work at tearing it apart at the corners. F wants to know if polytunnel plastic is cat-claw proof?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tigger. I once told our cat Domino to get out of 'Portugal'my polytunnel and he climbed up the wooden door frame and used the top of the polytunnel for a trampoline. There are a few cat claws rips in the plastic. We always keep a roll of polytunnel ready for any emergencies like rips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking Domino already. All cats know that conservatories are primarily for cat comfort and what humans do in them just gets in the way. Trampolining sounds like fun too. regards Mr T

      Delete
  7. Mmm fresh new potatoes. Best way to enjoy a hot potato, with Irish butter, from Lidls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good Linda. It's now when you want to eat new potatoes not the summer when the sun feeds you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did the same thing last year with some heritage blue potatoes. They were great! I dug them from the bed they'd sprouted in and potted them up in big plastic buckets. We had an excellent crop. We got 9lbs of spuds from 3 spuds I'd dug up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christina. I have seen the heritage blue potatoes but never tried them. We once lived in an upstairs flat and I grew potatoes in a large plant pot in the window. 9lbs of spuds from 3 spuds is a very good crop!

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...