Wednesday 7 February 2024

Not Bad.

 I made some raised beds in the veg plot without wood sides and transplanted some leeks in the veg plot this very morn. I think I was in the veg plot don't you?  I repeat myself when I am stressed.😊

Three Robins watched me.  I'm sure they must have been gardeners in another life?  Perching on my shovel and saying: 

'"He's not doing it right".  "Hi you're right.  He's nothing but a green horn".

Meanwhile back at the ranch or dwelling place.  Wifey baked another one of those Odlums loaves she made to'ther week and made one of those Aldi soup mix packs I blogged about yesterday:

She mixed in or added a packet of vegetable soup to give it a bit of flavour 

So what do you think Davey lad?  Well it warmed me up and gave sustenance after some hard graft digging and just the ticket on a cold Winter's day with snow on the way.

I preferred the homemade potato and leek soup we made the other week with our homemade home grown vegetables.  But it wasn't bad and I would eat it again and the home baked loaf was like Ambrosia for ye cooking gods!


13 comments:

  1. I think I shall have to make a pot of soup now that snow is on its way here. We'll have to rely on the local baker's sourdough though as I don't make my own. Perhaps a project for the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely soup weather JayCee. I am reliably informed that the soda bread mixes are very easy to make if you use buttermilk. Homemade baked bread gives a wonderful aroma to the kitchen. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't see how soup can go too wrong. Unless it has too much salt. The soup looks very nice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno Debby. When you use freshly picked and dug homegrown vegetables that you have grown yourself. They are fresh and the sugars haven't turned to starches. In an ideal world you would go to an organic vegetable market garden and you would choose which growing vegetables you wanted and they would pick and dig them up and wash off the soil for you. Failing that. We should grow our own. I must grow more winter vegetables this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh is best, but barring that, bagged vegetables seem a step up from tinned soups., I would think. You know what I would like to see, Dave? I would like to see you discuss storage of these things. How do you keep these things?

      Delete
    2. Tigger's Mum mentioned storing veg in clamps Debby on my last post. I also think there is nothing wrong sealing in the freshness by freezing. Remember Captain Birdseye? Imagine if you could go to a market garden and point to the vegetables you want picking or digging? Better still grow our own.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like Leek and potato soup! Pumpkin soup though is pretty good. That homemade bread makes the meal! Specially if someone else has done all the work and cleans up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have mice they will clean up the crumbs for you Linda. The bread is wonderful. I suppose you could make a big batch of soup and freeze it for winter?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you earned your soup after working hard in the morning. Good lad Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything to keep away from the washing machine, hoover and hairy dryer YP. An Anglo Irish man's home is his polytunnel castle and veg plot. I am very inexpensive to employ. Either by working by the hour, barter or crates of Newcastle Brown Ale will suffice.

      Delete
    2. Hairy dryer. Does it know Hare Krishna?

      Delete
  7. It looks warming and filling, the bread would be nice with a good amount of butter I think. I never dip bread into soups, I don't like soggy bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is warm and filling River. Yes lots of butter or margarine.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...