Friday 2 February 2024

Shopping At The Discount Garden Centre.


 Are you like me and itching to get sowing your vegetables seeds and planting your onion 🌰 sets?

I was in Lidl yesterday and bagged a few vegetables seeds packet bargains and some onions sets.

Yes I have read that snow is forecast in February in England and that's why it's called WINTER but I don't see why I can't make a start in doors.

I'm going to plant peas in a raised bed in the polytunnel and I plant the onion sets in plastic modules filled with a little compost.

This gives them a great start and a white root sock.  They much prefer being planted like this than being pushed into the cold Hibernia soil.


Next thing will be to buy some seed 🥔 and get them chitting in the front room.  Well it's better than fixing your motorbike in there isn't  it?

What vegetables are you planning to grow this year?

Thanks for reading and for your comments on my last post. 

16 comments:

  1. You appear to have missed out the word "potatoes"! Why that happened I have no idea. Has it become a rude word in Ireland? "Potato off Paddy!" and "Can I feel your potatoes Molly?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replaced potatoes with a potato emoji YP. Perhaps Paddy should sing her the song: "I met her in the garden where the Praeties grow"?

      Delete
    2. There's no potato emoji on this monitor! What's wrong with words?

      Delete
    3. Get yourself a mobile phone for emojis YP.

      Delete
  2. I have two new small veg beds, so I am trying to hold back, as I would seed everything we love and it would be far too much, I have my potatoes chitting on the kitchen window sill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any seed potatoes for sale yet in Lidl yet Poppypatchwork. It's good to plan your veg plot and keep to a strict crop rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The work on P's new veg bed has come to a stop due to the storms. He is hoping to get going again soon but I don't know what he is planning on planting there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's horrible when rain stops play JayCee. I got a lot done on Monday when it was dry. Now I am repotting shrubs and perennials in Algarve my polytunnel pal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring flowers are appearing in the fields. There will be warmer days soon. I'm still waiting for my cauliflowers to grow and that kohlrabi to get a move on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorse is in flower in the hedgerows and hills here Linda. Wet and windy here today. Roll on Spring time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learnt to be patient. They end up root bound before it is warm enough to plant then out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're probably right Tasker. I just try to make an early start to the growing season. We will collect a few packets of seeds every week and build up a collection for this year. Planted my onion sets in plastic modules yesterday in the polytunnel. Will buy some seed potatoes and chit them in the house and hopefully get an early crop in the polytunnel and some more outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Itching to get on with things...funny though, every time I start clearing the greenhouse, someone nameless parks something in the space......and it's not garden stuff!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can never have enough of greenhouses, polytunnels or sheds GZ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No vegetables, but I am going to get some Hellebores planted in the autumn for winter flowers under the plum trees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hellebores will look good under your plum trees River and they don't mind shade.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...