Friday 16 February 2024

"Stop Looking At My Shoes".

 Years ago we would go to Scarborough for our holidays with my parents.  

We always stayed in the North bay area because my mum said it was much posher than the South bay.

I would often walk to visit Anne Bronte's grave and look around the castle and my mental jukebox would play the old musical hall song: "One of the ruins that Cromwell knocked about a bit" .  

We would go to the Floral Hall  and the Futurist theatres and see the Nolans, the Spinners,the Bachelors, the Grumbleweeds and Canon and Ball plus others.

My mum and dad would spend every morning looking in cafe windows looking at the interior and the menu in the window.  

"What do you think? " My dad would ask my mother.

"It looks dirty".

Then we would move onto another establishment and they would look at the menu and inside the cafeteria.

"What do you think?"

"I don't know?"

"Come on we will give it a try".

Eventually by Wednesday we had found the cafe where we would be eating our breakfast every day.  We would be going home by coach on the Saturday.

One day my dad was picking up his cup of tea off the counter and a elderly lady customer said to my dad:

"Stop looking at my shoes". "What you looking at my shoes for?"

My dad smiled and told her he wasn't looking at her shoes.

He sat down and we laughed and we watched the old lady accost the next customer saying:

"Stop looking at my shoes".

You didn't need to go and watch the Grumbleweeds to have a laugh in the morning.  Happy days.

14 comments:

  1. But I bet you immediately looked down at her shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure JayCee. I remember my mum saying to my dad: " She's puddled".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were they shiny patent leather shoes? It is possible that her knickers were reflected there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why Catholic schoolgirls were not allowed to wear patent leather shoes.

      Delete
    2. Most females seem to weat trousers these days River.

      Delete
  4. It's a long time ago. What a thought? We also saw Charlie Williams perform in Scarborough. "Alright me old flower?" A very funny man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's one way to get people to look at your shoes. Unfortunately, "stop giving me money" does not work in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite. They must have been Bobby Dazzlers Tasker?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum would have chosen the cheap option, always. Funny about the old lady and her shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pantomime choosing cafes every holiday. The old lady was eccentric and one of life's characters. She had her wits about her in every way apart from her obsession with people looking at her shoes.

      Delete
  8. 'Grumbleweeds' made me laugh. Unfortunately, in this case, I think it may have had more to do with mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Grumbleweeds were a comedy band from Yorkshire Debby. Absolutely hilarious and would probably not be considered pc these days. I thought they were brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor old dear .... I wonder what part of her early life was plagued by stare-worthy shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes TM something gave her shoe complex.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...