Thursday 15 February 2024

Tight Wad Kale Cuttings Experiment.


 You know when you're bored and you find yourself making Kale cuttings. It's wet and windy but at least your away from the soft dulcet tones of the washing machine and domestic bliss.

I was reading on the old Tinternet and T'web that you can make Kale cuttings.  Then I watched some YouTube videos of good folk making Kale cuttings.

Now I was never good at Metalwork at school and I am unsure if the variety of our Kale is a perennial or an annual?  

So I filled a plant pot or four with my homemade potting compost and cut some Kale branch cuttings and placed them in the pot.

We will see in the few weeks if they sprout leaves and strike roots or not?  If they do strike we will have perennial Kale plants for life or at least until we get fed up of them and livestock can have them instead of us.  Watch this space like they say!  It's probably too early in the year for stuff to sprout roots and leaves but it's worth a try

Apparently Kale comes from Turkey originally.  We normally buy it from the supermarket.  Bet you can't guess which one?  

Why don't they have the Scorpions and Michael Schenker music  playing in the background when you shop?  Ted Nugent (seen him) said he was going to buy Muzak the company that uses supermarket background music to speed you up when you're shopping and replace it with his own music.  Not a bad idea Ted.  

Anyone else make their own vegetable cuttings?  You can plant shop bought ginger and plant celery and onions and capsicums, and I once knew a tightwad allotment holder who grew potatoes using the eyes of potato peelings he planted.  

You don't  see tightwad vegetable growing on Gardener's World do you?  But you do here. 


20 comments:

  1. Kale cuttings do make sense...after all when transplanting brassicas you plant them a bit deeper and they grow roots from the stalk that is buried

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look them up on You Tube GZ. I transplant leeks when I want to prepare the ground for another crop.

      Delete
  2. I've grown herbs, lemon grass, I also like playing with seeds and pips, I've grown, lemon. lime, kiwi, pomegranate and others. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Marlene. We've grown an orange tree from pips.

      Delete
  3. Harry Kale plays for Bayern Munich now but they lost to Lazio last night. I am a tight wad too but not as tight as you! Good luck with your Harry Kale experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they don't want Sauerkraut for their tea tonight YP?

      Delete
    2. Is that what you are having? No doubt with bacon and spuds... just for a change.

      Delete
    3. I don't know YP. Sometimes I get a phone call from town saying " what do you want for your tea?"

      Delete
    4. And you say, "Yorkshire Tea of course babe!"

      Delete
    5. What is wrong with Barry's tea? Not that I drink the stuff.

      Delete
    6. Barry? Isn't that what they used to call Barack Obama? Didn't know he was now a tea producer. In Wales they named an island after him.

      Delete
    7. Barry's Tea is a Cork tea company YP. Barack Obamas maternal ancestors are said to come from County Offaly.

      Delete
    8. Is that where they process animals' internal organs?

      Delete
    9. That's an Offaly good joke YP.

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't it be great to have all that lovely stuff they get to use on Gardeners' World? It must cost them a small fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often think the same JayCee and the ground is already dug. Geoffrey Smith would have dug the ground himself. Him and Geoff Hamilton are my favourite TV gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our celery comes with roots and I plant them. I've got 2 pots at the moment. I have grown onions and garlic from bulbs that have sprouted and they've done well though the garlic cloves are a bit small. I have also grown good tomatoes from soft tomatoes. In the past. I can't be bothered now. They're easier to buy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must grow some supermarket bought celery Linda. It doesn't like frost but it will like the boggy soil we have in Ireland. I think it must be originally a marsh plant. Do you plant the soft tomatoes or just their seeds? I know it's a bit of a chore but you can't beat homegrown and freshly picked vegetables. I would say some of the shop bought vegetables are weeks old or been flown from far off places like Israel. Probably Organic and packed in plastic?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate kale so much I would never even think of buying it much less growing it. Almost thirty years ago I had a good crop of potatoes in the compost heap that grew from peelings with eyes. Different house and yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi River. Surprised you don't like Kale. The humans and livestock here like it. It's full of vitamins and very good for you. I have grown shop bought potatoes but I think you get much better yields from seed potatoes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...