Sunday 1 September 2024

Last Day In Dorset.

 It was our last day exploring Dorset.  I hope to go there again sometime probably out of the holiday season.

 We bought two all day explorer  bus tickets for 4 pounds sixty each.

We caught the open topped double decker bus from outside Wool train station. It seemed to travel miles and we must have come back to the tank museum, Wool village and Monkey World five times.

Here's some photos for your perusal:

Corfe Castle and village.



This house would do me.

Corfe Castle was one of the film locations in Bed Knobs And Broomsticks.

The admission fee was 14 Pounds.  We didn't bother!

We decided to look around Corfe and waited for the bus to take us to Swanage.  It duly arrived but the bus driver wouldn't accept our tickets.  

His bus was a different bus company.  We should have just paid 2 pounds each but we didn't think and walked up the road to the next bus stop.

We met a local man who chatted while waited for the bus.  I asked him how much house prices were in the area?  650000 Pounds was the starting price for most houses.

Even where I live houses are going for over 300000 Euros this year.  Young people have little chance of getting on the rural housing ladder or planning permission.  At least we have more than one house and our lads will have an house each one day and no rent or mortgage to pay.  

The man said a lot of local work was seasonal and he knew of a car park owner who charges one pounds fifty a day in winter and one pounds fifty an hour in the summer.  Quite a difference!

We visited Swanage, Weymouth and ended up in a Wetherspoons in Dorchester.  I had the 'All Day' Brunch and two pints of Stonehouse cider.  Not bad for 2.74 a pint!

Here's a couple of Swanage photos:



On the train to Chichester in Sussex tomorrow. 




14 comments:

  1. You had a great holiday.you saw so many places. Lovely photos again. Love that house too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely down there and those thatched cottages are very pretty.
    The bus fares sound quite reasonable. £4.60 for an all day explorer is pretty good.
    I am looking forward to your Chichester post. I used to work there when I lived down in West Sussex, many, many years ago. Another lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we got around and saw some fabulous places Linda. I would love to make a television programme and stop and knock on people if we can look around their house. I would love to look around the thatched house in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We only stayed half a day and night in Sussex JayCee. Those thatched houses are stunningly beautiful. Apart from the cars its like time has stood still especially with the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha - the Greyhound, the most photographed pub in England. It took Mr B two vidits before he understood why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry - I hit publush before I meant to. You didn't try the steam train then? Swanage isn't the most exciting part of Isle of Purbeck is it? There are so many campsites around Corfe and it is a lovely area for walking tracks etc. I swear I lived there in another life, i love east Dorset. Can't wait to see what you made of Chi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep! It is a magical village. Lilliput Lane buildings in real life. I think I could live in Dorset TM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know the area well. I saw the steam railway station. We noticed a big chalk horse near a campsite near Weymouth. That's definitely somewhere I would like to visit next time. Shaftesbury (Jude The Obscure) is probably my favourite place in Dorset. I can see why they chose Gold Hill for the Hovis adverts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. What was the Wetherspoons in Dorchester called? I am guessing: "The Mayor Casterbridge".
    2. Surely Monkey World is an estate in Florida USA - Mar-a-Lago where a certain Adolf Trump dwells with his estranged Slovenian wife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monkey world is such a lovely place to visit, we have had loads of good days out there. Corfe castle is beautiful, I much preferred the village and station. Chichester is another lovely place to visit. House prices here are ridiculously high, and yet houses sell quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Dorset is a lovely place Marlene. There is so much to do and visit. I dread to think what house prices will be in another five years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you've enjoyed a tour of Wetherspoons :)
    That house would do for me as well.
    The castle looks amazing, although like yourself, I would have been reluctant to pay that much, just to take a look around it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always support the ale houses that support my wallet Jules. Plus they let me charge my phone for free and sell me a cooked Freedom breakfast for 4.44. It would cost about 15 Euros for a full Irish breakfast over here. It's a beautiful house. Dorset is full of thatched cottages. All could be pictures on chocolate boxes. Yes 14 Pounds is a bit steep to walk around a ruined castle.

    ReplyDelete

The Repurposed Plastic Allotment.

 The next two posts are about repurposing  plastic in the veg plot. Regular readers have seen some of my plastic raised beds before.  Plasti...