Tuesday 27 September 2022

Back In The EU.

A heavy envelope arrived in the post last week.  I finally got round to applying for my Irish passport and it duly arrived in the post .  I am an Irish citizen and a dual citizen because I also hold a British passport.  This also means I am an EU citizen yet again.  Hurray!

I am a member of the EU again.  If I want to stay in the EU for up to six months I can do so or even work or retire  there.  Perhaps I will fulfil my dream and live in Portugal every Winter? Oh happy days!

I have yet to meet some one in Ireland that can see the sense in Brexit.  Not to forget the 30 Billion Pounds leaving bill that the UK needs to find in January.  All the lies and false promises. Even the Remainer Liz Truss wants to recruit workers back to the UK again, especially seasonal horticultural/agricultural workers

I see the Liberal Democrats and the SNP say they will campaign at the next General Election to rejoin the EU yet  Labour of all parties the party founded for the labourers won't be.  Do they not believe in free movement between our European neighbours?  We need to be island hopping with our European neighbours not  content with signing deals with the US and Australia.

Anyway if you  have a grandparent or parent born in Ireland or another EU country why not apply for a passport and become an EU citizen again?  Ten percent of the UK's population are  from an Irish background like myself.  

I feel like I beat Brexit on my own.  Well my dad helped a great deal with him being born here and so did Ireland especially the passport people.  Thanks!

14 comments:

  1. Ever heard of self-flagellation? Well that is what voting for Brexit is and was. Voting for Johnson was also an act of self-flagellation. Truss and Kwarteng are continuing the process.

    I am of Viking stock. My ancestors arrived here in the eighth century from Scandinavia. Do you think that might qualify me to get an EU passport?

    P.S. I commented on yesterday's post. Did it end up in Spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truss was a Remainer YP. I think a lot of us have European ancestory.

      I only posted your one comment about the seal cubs. Perhaps it went into spam.

      Delete
  2. Probably too far back for me to be eligible to claim. My great grandfather was apparently from Ireland but I'm not sure my great grandmother ever saw him again after they created Grandad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can only be eligible for a Irish passport if you had Irish parents or grandparents JayCee. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot understand the Brexit vote. To vote to leave your biggest trading partner…insanity, complete insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree Traveller. Why cut off the hands that feed you? We need our European neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you. I feel as much European as British; I wish I had dual nationality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very European Mark. European is a continent of very near neighbours. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Ah, blessed are those Irish grandparents. ;-)
    Welcome in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. It's good to be part of a European Union.

      Delete
  8. We have yet to meet anyone anywhere who can explain the sense of Brexit - even among those who voted for it. It has been nothing but a pain in the butt on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can't buy a lot of things that use to come from the UK since Brexit.

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...