Friday 25 November 2022

C Is For Clannad.

 Clannad apparently means 'Family 'in Irish.  They go under the music genre Prog Folk.  I have seen them 5 times.  Twice this year. Once in Limerick and at Cropredy in Oxfordshire in front of 20000 people.  

Clannad originate from Gweedore in Donegal.  Sadly they a retiring soon.  I am sure they will still carry on with their individual solo stuff and still put on group performances at their local Leo's Tavern in Gweedore in Donegal.

They sing in English and Irish and a lot of their tracks are about Celtic folklore and  mysticism and spirituality and inspiration that they get from the beautiful Irish landscape.   I particularly love the harp.  It's an instrument played by Angel's and gifted mortals on Earth.

Clannad to me are like a fine wine that just gets better and improves with age.

Have you ever seen them live? The photo of the above video is very much like my Clannad T shirt.

Look them up on YouTube or why not buy someone an album for Christmas?  Harry's Game is another one of my favourites and we often listen to Clannad in the car.  Great travelling music.  

Next week is D.  Hmm..?🤔  Do you like Devo?

22 comments:

  1. I have never seen them live but I like the sound they make - a kind of fusion of old and new. Thanks for reminding me of them and such a lovely song to illustrate too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a fusion of old and new sums Clannad and their music perfectly YP. One of my top ten favourite bands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I can stream your clips directly to my hearing aids I was able to enjoy this one. Very gentle and dreamlike.
    Thanks Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be like entering another world for you JayCee? I so pleased you have got your hearing back. Yes dream like music like riding on a Swan in paradise. They take you somewhere spiritual and away from this mad world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C for Clannad, well worth listening to. Their music is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are Linda. A wonderful and very talented group of musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have been going a very long time I think - or seem to recall them in my teenage years and that would be the Seventies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifty years Mark probably longer individually? Like Jethro Tull they made folk into progressive folk rock.

      Delete
  8. Great to listen to Dave. Her voice reminds me of June Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like them Rachel. June Tabor reminds me of Sandy Denny.. Sung from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely music. I like David Bowie better than Devo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you like Clannad Debby. David Bowie's early stuff like 'Life On Mars' was particularly very good. What about Dio instead of Devo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I began to type that I did not know them. However, with the wonders of the internet, I discovered that I did know them after all. Dio would get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you want to spend a good few hours listening to Clannad pop over to You Tube Debby. I saw Dio in the eighties. God bless a great Rocker now playing in Heaven. You have got good music taste and you have seen Kansas like me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely. We have just unpacked our 100s of CDs (stash from combined households a few years back and I wouldn't mind betting we have Clannad in there somewhere - must go and have a relisten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you like Clannad Tigger. We have Rock Cassettes some Clannad. But nothing to play them on. At least we have You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dougie Maclean!!!! He's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of him Debby. I have just played Auld Lang Syne. Thanks for telling me about him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. !!!!!!!! Really? The Gael was used as the theme song to The Last of the Mohicans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh. I know that theme Debby but I had never heard of Dougie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen them twice. I was fascinated by their use of sound modulation. It took me a while to understand how they created those mysterious ethereal notes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great band with their own unique sound and those mysterious ethereal notes Tasker. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Bank Holiday Carboot Antiques Hunt.

 It's a Bank Holiday here in Ireland giving everyone a day off after Saint Patrick's Day. The weather forecast was not good but we s...