Wednesday 12 April 2023

First Ice Plant Flower Of The Spring.


 The first Ice plant of Spring.  

What a difference the microclimate/plastic inside of 'Portugal' my torn polytunnel makes.

One of the cuttings I took a few weeks ago decided to flower yesterday.  

After the horrible wet and windy unseasonal weather of the past few days it really is a joy to behold.

They are called Ice plants because of the small glistening dots on the foliage of the plants.

Ice plants are succulents and thrive in hot climates because of this.  

However they ate the wet climate like Ireland and the UK and I like to take them  in certain plants in the Winter.

They are easy to root like Sedums are.  Just cut off a few arms with a pair of scissors and stick a few millimetres of them in plant pots filled  with compost and just water gently every few days.  In about 3 or weeks they will have rooted and you will soon have a collection of plants.

A few years ago we went walking along a trail above the cliffs in the Western Algarve and saw Ice plants and Rosemary growing wild.

Now when I look at my plants I feel like it's a glimpse of the Algarve and the sun.



10 comments:

  1. Some plants just want to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do and a polythene microclimate certainly helps GZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Dave. Your blog always cheers me up.
    That is a plucky little plant, showing its head in this weather even with the Portugal protection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun'll come out tomorrow". Perhaps I should call my Ice plant Annie? It cheered me up yesterday in the wind and rain JayCee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary was probably growing wild because of your manly after shave lotion - "Testosterzone". Did Jean know you were with her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. J was walking behind complaining that I took her on a hike. We stopped at a clearing of a car park and we saw a man selling fruit and cold beer from the back of his small van. It was Ambrosia or nectar from ye gods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ice plant up the road which tumbles over a wall is just starting to bloom. I love the plant. Have been meaning to take cutting for years. Maybe this year

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really easy cutting to make Linda. Just get a pair of scissors and snip off some pieces and stick them in some pots of compost and don't over water them. Good luck with the cuttings. If you lived near me I would gladly give you some Ice plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen ice plants in a long while. We have them here in Adelaide but in suburbs where I used to live, not where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might be worth you sourcing Ice plants River. I like them and they're very easy to propagate.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...