Wednesday 5 April 2023

"Who Lives In A Smallholding House Like This?"


 We have two piglets living in the Conservatory with us at the moment.  

An old sow we bought in piglet farrowed the other day.  Sadly some of them were born dead but these two below survived.  There's an old country saying:

"Where there is livestock there is always deadstock".

So very true!

The sow who I named Florence and the Pig Machine had no milk so we decided to bring them in an put them under an heat lamp in a cage. I remember my dad telling me that my Grandmother use to nurse young lambs and pigs next to the range in the kitchen.

We are giving them Lamblac powdered milk in baby bottles.  They same stuff we feed the lambs.  They are flying it by the way and feel heavy when you pick them up.

Number one son rigged up an Heath Robinson system of propping up the bottle to make a 'self service' drinking station for in the night and during the day. 

It's early days but they seem to be doing fine now.



17 comments:

  1. You are so resourceful there, Dave. The piglets will appreciate all your efforts in saving their bacon, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have set up another optic on top of an upturned plant pot JayCee. I have given the piglet in the picture the name of Boozer. They love their milk pop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately for my parents' relationship we had a woolshed where all the orphaned lambs were in crates under lights until we could mother them onto ewes who had birthed stillborns. It did mean going out in the night to feed them though. Let's hope boozer (and his sibling) thrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lamb memories Tigger. Some animals survive and some fail to thrive. It makes you stoic and pragmatic. Thanks Tigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a competition for naming the two piglets? I do not know what gender they are but if it's a girl and a boy, I suggest JayCee and Peregrine.

    By the way, a round of applause for you and your family for taking on the hard job of feeding JayCee and Peregrine by hand! Admirable!

    On - now I see that you have already called Peregrine Boozer - an appropriate nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good names YP. JayCee is a non-alcholic person and Peregrine drinks Guinness 0.0. They are starting a Temperance Society meeting on the IOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not sure that I am particularly flattered to be compared to a piglet. You will be hearing from my legal adviser forthwith.

      Delete
  7. It was that Yorkshire Pudding that suggested the names not me JayCee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How long will you bottle feed them? How many bottles do they get a day? I have no experience with pigs, just cows. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About 5 weeks Marjorie. We are giving them four baby bottle of milk a day at the moment. Pigs are one of the quickest farm animals to wean. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for replying.

      Delete
    2. I always reply to polite people like you Marjorie.

      Delete
  10. Must be wonderful to see these two getting bigger. Love live your little piggies

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope they survive Linda. There in a warm and safe environment away from the cold and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I expect both will survive and do very well.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...