Thursday 20 April 2023

Plants and Vegetables That Gladden My Heart.

 I was walking round a town centre in County  Kerry the other day looking at gardens of course.

Hope there's no late frosts.  Perhaps that's what the polythene is for?  My outside potatoes shoots/haulm have started emerging and I covered them up with my Azada yesterday.   If you hear of an heavy frost prediction you can cover them with old newspapers held down with soil or spread straw over them.

My polytunnel potatoes are flying it also and they have pushed their shoots through the soil I placed on them last week.  I think one more soil covering and I will let them grow through the soil.

I noticed these potatoes growing in a raised bed in a front garden.  Oh what a joy to see!

In a neighbouring garden I spotted some Bluebells in flower in part of a front garden that looks neglected and would like someone to tame it and manicure it back to it's former glory.  I recognised some overgrown shrubs and wouldn't have mind tackling that garden.  

But it's also a great natural habit for wildlife.  Rather like motorway verges planted with trees.

Isn't Spring a wonderful season?  It will soon be the darling buds of May.  My favourite time of year.

I have more Spring photos to show you on my next post.

10 comments:

  1. Our potatoes are now shooting inside their warm plastic sacks. Looking forward to some home grown spuds for dinner soon.
    We have loads of bluebells and forget me nots all now in flower alongside each other down the length of our driveway. I thought it was too early for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JayCee. The cherry blossom trees and blackthorn are all in flower. I don't know what happened to our forget me nots. Heavy rain in the night but its sunny now but still quite cold. At least we never lit the fire last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oi, Paddy! Yes I'm talking to you ye great big wardrobe! What the feck d'ya feckin' think yer feckin' doing snapping photies of our feckin' gardens? Ye can feck off back to feckin' Cork!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I cut the photo down YP so I didn't show the front of their house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could be there when those new potatoes are harvested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Linda new potato picking is one of the highlights of the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our winters here are mild compared to yours so I'm hoping my single potato plant will produce a spud or two even though it is the wrong season. It needs covering with soil again but it's at the top of the pot now so I will just leave it and plan better next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've grown potatoes for Christmas River. You plant them in September in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a real internal conflict isn't it between wanting to garden such a space and acknowledging that from a 'nature' point of view spaces like that are a benefit to all of us in the complex ecosystems that they support, and what that contributes to our curated gardens? Since our neighbour cleared the wildlife haven in his backyard (to address his rat problem) the birds that visit our garden have dropped to a fraction of what they used to be. It needed doing but he has cut EVERYTHING at ground level and it talking about taking out the huge mature lime tree at the front as well. Talk about scorched earth, or feast to famine.... we are dreading the day he puts match to the massive bonfire heap he has built in the backyard, and he has as least double that amount in piles around the edges (too close by far to the pile that will be the main conflagration) ready to throw on top. I wouldn't be surprised if all the neighbours are stocking up on fire-fighting equipment. We certainly are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree Tigger. Wild habitats are perfect for wildlife. Even motorway verges. If he left the bonfire to decompose it would attract all manner of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...