Wednesday 19 April 2023

Spud Pie And Mushy Peas.

 No not a name for a Rock band. Although there is a Folk band called Beans OnToast.

Dear old wifey went through her mental cook box and came up with an old favourite last Tuesday.  

Homemade meat and potato pie.  Often something served at a Do up North.  

Great when you have had a belly of ale especially if you eat the red cabbage accompaniment.😊



What I had for my tea kind of blog post!

We often stop at petrol stations for something to eat.  I send wifey in and she comes back with a chicken and mushroom or curry pie- unbelievable!  

Who comes up with these pie recipes?  Not forgetting that flaky pastry what I cover my trousers and shake outside like I have had a Dandruff attack.

Oh how I miss pasty and pie shops and chip shops like you get in Blighty.

We have to do the next best thing and make our own.

16 comments:

  1. Mrs northsider's probably taste a whole lot better than shop bought, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no Sweeney Todd pies on the Irish Riviera JayCee. It's worth a trip to Blighty for the real ales and the pies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Dave hope you are well, i saw this and thought you may like to watch. Homestead in Portugal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcp84BmRX6w
    Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol. Thanks I will look at that tonight. Hope you're well?

      Delete
  4. Does that substantial pie figure in "The Northsider Diet" for slimmers? Well done to your missus. I hope you remembered to say "thank you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say thank you YP. We were in Iceland yesterday and there were Hollands pies and Vimto. I also bought some bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale in a off licence. It was like being in Blighty.

      Delete
    2. Did you see some hot springs and geysirs?

      Delete
    3. I saw Bjork pushing her shopping 🛒.

      Delete
  5. I just made a meat and potato pie with leftover Easter lamb. Really good. Hate it when K east cheese pies in the car. Flaky pastry flakes everywhere, just like dandruff . And then who has to clean up? Not him

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate flaky pastry Linda. Horrible stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not related but I'd love to know how your rhubarb and elderflower wine turned out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not me Suzanne. Try Ben's Adventure In Winemaking on my blog list. Ben knows everything about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having thoughts of making my own pie on the coming weekend, but there will be no pastry involved, it will be a Shepherd's Pie or what some call a Cottage Pie. It must be at least a decade since I made one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We often have homemade Shepherds Pie for tea River. I think Cottage Pie is made with beef mince and Shepherds Pie is made with lamb mince. We make it with beef but still call it Shepherds Pie. It always goes down well and it's not expensive to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always beef here, I hate lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't mind lamb mince but not keen on mutton.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...