Friday 28 April 2023

Gardeners Detritus.

 

Ok ya.  Welcome to the West Cork Tate Gallery outdoor entry for artist of the year 2023.

I have entitled my work Gardeners Detritus.  Hopefully we will now become very rich and we can buy our dream villa in the Algarve?

One can see the main material used is plastic which is derived from fossil fuels and they are oil based products.  So there is obviously a  big carbon footprint?

Seriously I have been clearing behind the back of the polytunnel which had become my plant pot dump and had become covered in overgrown brambles.

I think I have enough plant pots to last me the rest of my days.  At least I saved them from going to the landfill.  

It must of been wonderful living in a world of clay flower pots?

8 comments:

  1. It's quite ironic that though horticulture is all about plants and Nature, gardeners tend to use a lot of plastic. Your pile is not unusual Dave. Thank heavens Bill & Ben were not plastic flowerpot men. I doubt that plastic flowerpots even existed when they were created.
    P.S. JayCee could be Little Weed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ironic that Staffordshire farmers realised that their land was full of clay and they founded potteries in Stoke on Trent and made clay floeer pots and crockery for centuries. Then along came Charlie plastic and we end up with a tide of plastic even in our gardens.

      Bill and Ben are in a pub and Bill says: " Flob a lob a lob of". The landlord says: "you're having no more your drunk!"

      Delete
  2. And I thought my humum had a lot of pots 'stored for future use'. That is taking it to extremes Dave. (but might have created a nice place to go mousing.... Mr T)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY! That's a lot of pots! If the picture doesn't do well at the Tate, you can make your fortune putting plants in these pots and selling them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used hundreds of them Tigger. The slugs and snails use them for des res plant pot houses. I'm suprised a Robin hasn't used one for a nest. I have known them nest in paint cans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will post a picture of my plant nursery for you Debby soon. I think I have become a plantaholic and a plant potholic. It's sending me potty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clay flower pots do break, but they are far nicer than the plastic alternative. What will you do with all of those in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree River. Clay pots are natural. Some of them made in warm places like Spain are not frost sensitive and crack. I keep using them and adding to my plant nursery and I will give some of them to anyone who wishes to grow any plants.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...