Wednesday 12 April 2023

Microwaving Steak And A Posh Pub Meal Story.

 I didn't know that you could microwave steak.  Did you?

One remembers the times growing up when you might 'warm up' last night's Doner Kebab (Donna Kebab she's hot, hot, hot!🌶after a scoop of ale at the weekend.

But does any one or could they microwave raw steak? 

I once successfully made chips from a tin of new potatoes and cooked them and they worked.  Back in the days when our cheap discount supermarket was NETTO.

Perhaps all one needs is a flat over a Wetherspoon's and  and a microwave to warm up last night's Doner? 

It certainly beats living in the middle of nowhere and especially  when it's persisting it down and blowing a  gale like last night.

I jest but we were in the other German discount supermarket and garden centre and beer providers the other day.  We bought some nice steaks and I read the label:

Is there anybody out there in blog land who has  actually cooked a steak dinner in a microwave? Is it "rare"? I can't imagine it being 'well done" how I like it can you?

Many years ago we went in this "posh" pub in the  north country of England.  The dressed up landlady was bragging about her menu:

"It's all home grown and cooked on the premises"

She opened the door into the kitchen every couple of minutes when the meals were ready and you heard the 'ping' of a microwave! 

She came over to the tables with the piping hot food and said:

"Watch your fingers, it's mad hot!"

We realised it was cooked or 'warmed up' by the machine that goes 'Ping'.



Any one got any microwave tales?

17 comments:

  1. I don't think I fancy microwave steak. Not unless I had a craving for a rubbery meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly my thoughts JayCee.

    A man goes into a Japanese chicken dish. The waiter brings it and the man takes a bite and complains that this chicken is rubbery. The waiter says:" Thank you very much". Dennis Taylor joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that one in mind when I wrote my comment 😉 The old ones are goodies.

      Delete
  3. At least we try to amuse JayCee. "I'm here all week".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once standing on Bridlington beach when a tiny microwave swept over my toes like a miniature tsunami.
    I once went out with a lovely Korean microwave called Samsung. Though she was quite frigid, I knew how to press Samsung's "auto-defrost" button.
    The first time I saw a microwave I thought it was a television set and tried to put a programme called "Meat Items" on but I waited forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you are drunk when you put your pin number in your microwave timer.

    "We got install microwave ovens". Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, the Tigger, advise you to NEVER microwave steak. In fact NEVER microwave any meat, not even to simply defrost it. Tigger's know best when it comes to meat. xxx Mr T (PS my humans make far too much use of that ping thing - F makes big batches of the stuff they eat and portions it into the freezer, and it gets pinged.) Sometimes my meat gets pinged and it makes hot pockets in what would otherwise appear to be safe to eat food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the microwave cooking meat advice Tigger. We often stop at petrol stations and buy bacon rolls and butties and I take a bite and here myself say: " This bacon has been cooked in a microwave." Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. Microwaved bacon! Yuk, yuk, yuck...

      Delete
  8. ...hear my self! Not here myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a lot of it about JayCee. I could write a book entitled Where Not To Buy Food When Your Travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We might be heading down the microwave route to save cash..mainly through batch cooking and then reheating individual portions by ping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds sensible use of a microwave GZ. I would not like to eat steak cooked in one go for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sacrilege! I am glad you did not dishonor the animal that gave up their life to give you that steak by cooking said steak in the MICROWAVE!!! Who thinks of this stuff??!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never microwaved meat, nor poultry or fish. I microwave my breakfast porridge each morning and in the evenings frozen vegetables to go with my properly cooked meats. I have reheated leftover pizza in the microwave, but it is never as good as oven baked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leeks placed in a bowl with butter on them microwave very well River. Like you say they are best used for warming up food not cooking steaks.

    ReplyDelete

Asleep In The Garlic.

 I was weeding and potting up plants in the polytunnel the other day and I noticed someone fast asleep lying in my garlic patch. Domino is 1...