Sunday 2 April 2023

"It's Not A Garden Centre Though Is It?"



 

We went selling at a carboot sale for a change instead of just purchasing stuff.

We took turns to have a look round and I managed to escape from wifey and  made some purchases foe myself like two trugs for weeding and carrying firewood and an old soil sieve and a sack truck.

I even sold some of my perennials and an interested lady took our phone number and she wants more plants taken to a carboot sale for her.

The sun was shining for a change and a lady asked me how much was a bamboo plant was for sale?  Giving it my best sales pitch I said:

"If you wanted the same bamboo in a garden centre it would be at least 27 Euros'.
But I will let you have a plant of it  for two Euros. 

The lady replied:

"But it's not a garden centre is it?"

Then she walked off leaving me with my cut-price car boot sale bamboo plant!

Life.  If I could only purchase one!😊


18 comments:

  1. She sounds a right charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep JayCee. I once worked in a timber yard and all the staff agreed that anyone who is polite and says "please and thank you". You would help them all day long. We had a great day carbootiny and met some real characters and did alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lady must be highly intelligent and as observant as a peregrine falcon. However, I bet she wouldn't be able to spot the difference between a Man Utd supporter and a sack of potatoes*.

    * = spuds

    ReplyDelete
  4. JayCee is highly intelligent just like her husband Peregrine. Come back when you have won 20 titles and a treble and the biggest domestic stadium in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many washing machines and tumble dryers are there? I was referring to the lady who did not fall for your sales pitch and not to JayCee who is of course beyond reproach.

      Delete
    2. I know. You mentioned Peregrine.

      Delete
  5. I remember once I was at a table sale, and an outraged woman tried to argue with a seller about the price of a piece of jewelry. The woman huffed, "I can turn around and buy a piece of jewelry off the table behind me for half the price." Unruffled the woman laughed and said, "That's because she's selling costume jewelry. It's your choice."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great anecdote Debby. I love characters. Even awkward ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silly woman didn't recognise a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes River. I think you get browse shoppers even at car boot sales. They have no intention of buying anything. I would imagine anyone working in a retail environment could write a book or more about the characters they have met.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you have some tales to write for us to read JayCee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I thought we were blog friends Linda?🙂 Oh the lady shopper? You can't help some people.

      Delete
  11. Should have told her is would be a euro at the garden centre but here 2 euros because it is organic, sustainably sourced, programmed to reverse climate change, and because the grower is a nice bloke (add your own embellishments here......)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are one clever cat Tigger. I remember a car boot seller use to say politely to timewasters: " Thanks for your offer. But no thank you".

    ReplyDelete

Grass Cutting Smallholding Chores.

 The weather is improving and yesterday I gave my petrol hedge trimmer it's first work out of the year. That's a photo of yours trul...