Sunday 26 May 2024

Another One Of My Walks Where We Live.

A walk on the Northside (thus my blog title!) looking across the bay to Beara peninsula.
Going south.  You can see Dunmanus Bay in the distance. 
A lonely looking house.


More Faeries Fingers.
Hawthorn flower.  My mother called it "Mother Death".  It was considered bad luck to take this in your house in northwest England.
Ferns or bracken.  Poisonous to livestock and ferns should never be handled by your uncovered hand .  Some people claim ferns are cancerous. 
Gorse or furze.  Often used to make stockproof hedges.  In Galway people would grow fields of it and harvest it and sell it for firewood.
Cattle nonchalant  grazing and chewing  the cud.
Poached egg plant in a rural garden.
Grandma's Bonnets or Aquilegia.  Old garden favourites that self seed and come back every year.
A log cabin holiday home.  Very tastefully painted and blended in with the scenery. 


Back over towards Bantry Bay.
Rabbit and Church islands which I use to pass on the ferry to work on Whiddy and back to Bantry Pier in the evening. 
My bottle of water having a rest on a stone table positioned there for the walkers.
Sheep on the Sheep's Head Way.
An old cairn stone now being repurposed for a fingerpost for the hikers.
Ancient stone wall.  I thought of Clannad when I took this shot.
Ancient stone ruin.  Maybe an animal shelter or an humble abode for someone?
St Patricks cabbage from the other days post.
Yellowflag iris.


Another glimpse at Dunmanus Bay.

 Now I am not drinking alcohol I have got a lot of my energy back.  Thirty one miles in a week isn't bad for a sixty your old blog writer and plant propagator fanatic is it?






14 comments:

  1. Those are fantastic photos and i love the view back towards Bantry Bay. (The lonely house looks like it might once have been moderately grand don't you think?) Anyway your pics have encouraged me to add walking in the Emerald Isle to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house does look grand TM. A motor home and follow the discount supermarket signs is the best way to tour Ireland. Or even go walking.

      Delete
  2. You live in a lovely part of the world, I grew up in rural Somerset and loved long walks, we are near the coast here, a water inlet, with nice walks, which we do not use much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. If you put Somerset in my blog search. You can see where I visited last August.

      Delete
  3. No, that's a good effort for an old codger Dave! Thanks for taking us on this ramble. Much appreciated. I especially liked the photo of the old cairn with fingerpost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the stone cairns were built during the English Ordnance surveys in the 18th century YP. I do everything whole hearted or I don't bother.

      Delete
  4. Miles and miles of beauty just waiting to be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to be on your own with nature come here JayCee. I love the Irish countryside. So so beautiful.

      Delete
  5. That seems a very grey and lonely house. Is it lived in. You have a wonderful place to walk. So green, so much flora and Bantry Bay on the horizon. And so much stone too. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Linda I picked up on the house and it's solitude. It's a lovely place to walk on a nice day. People use to say to my grandmother that she had a lovely view and she would reply: "The view won't feed you". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 61 miles in one week is super! You live in an old and beautiful place. I remember how excited I was to see gorse. I''d only heard about it from WInnie the Pooh, but I recognized it as soon as I saw it, and I was ridiculously pleased to see it.

    I wonder how superstitions begin? What was it that made people decide that hawthorn in the house meant death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hawthorn was said to be the fairy tree Debby. It's blossom was said to smell like the Great Plague. It's said to be a Celtic sacred tree and the people of old treated it so and left it alone. Thanks Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the house. I could be happy there.
    That is a good walk.
    In the Gaelic alphabet, in which each letter is associated with a tree, Hawthorn is H for Huath. 18 letters and trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got character GZ. Thanks for the Gaelic alphabet info.

      Delete

Plastic Bottle Plant Cuttings Cloche.

  I made myself a plastic bottle cloche the other week.  It is a bottle that was lying around in the polytunnel and too old to take back to ...