Friday 31 May 2024

Homemade Doner Kebab.

 We found a Colman's Doner Kebab mix in Super Valu recently:


It cost a Euro.  

You just get 500 grammes of mincemeat and mix in the Big Night IN Doner Kebab mix.

You make it into a sausage shape and wrap it in tin foil and cook it in the oven for forty minutes.  You can also cook it in a loaf tin.  The inside are on the back of the packet.

Here's what it looked like on the plate:



I like hot spicy sauce with mine.  It really tasted good and was very inexpensive to make.  It cost just five Euros to feed four of us.  I grew the Japanese onions for our tea.

Do you make your own Doner Kebabs? Ours was really tasty and a big saving on not go to the takeaway.  A Doner Kebab on it's own is 7 Euros.  If four of us had one each it would of cost 28 Euros.  Five Euros for four people is a big saving.

They don't seem to like hot and spicy food in Ireland unlike me.  There is a kebab house over in Kent and they put fresh green chillies on top of your Doner.  I always eat mine.




10 comments:

  1. I don't make my own but our local butcher sells individual lamb kebabs on wooden skewers, made in-house from Manx lamb, for £1.60 each. I buy those sometimes as a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they hot 🔥 and spicy JayCee? Our local butchers also make them. They look the part but there is no spice to them. It's hard to buy fresh spices down here. There are Asian shops in Tralee that we visit when I buy my Newcastle Brown and Badger bitters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would I make my own when within five minutes walk of this house there is a kebab takeaway? There are also three pubs, a pizza shop, a Chinese, an Indian, a Persian bakery and a fish and chip shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no kebab houses in the countryside YP. In Coronation Street they all ate in Roy's cafe or ate Betty's Lovely Hotpot in the Rovers Return. Yet they always had ketchup and brown sauce on Elsie Tanners and Stan and Hilda's kitchen table. Can you buy Newton and Ridley bitter near you YP?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this. In Canada we have donairs or shawarma which (thanks google) is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DB Stewart. Thanks for you comment. I have always wanted to visit Canada. Saga, April Wine and Rush are three bands from there that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't make our own, but on the rare occasions we want one, we have a supper restaurant chain in our local town, GDK, where hubby get his spicy donna and I have mine in a wrap without the spices, a much nicer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good Marlene. It's great when you have a good takeaway close by.

    ReplyDelete

Lets Go Planting Leeks.

 Friday morning was very wet and I used the damp opportunity to transplant twelve leek plants that we had grown from seed and I left the oth...