Tuesday 28 May 2024

The Blossom Of The Thistle.

 

Meet Angus my Globe Artichoke.

He wants to play for Inverness Caledonian Thistle when he grows up.

Apparently there are 21 Scottish football teams with Thistle in their names.  Did you know that that?  No I didn't either.

Globe Artichokes are a member of the Cardoons and Thistle family.  They originate in Arab countries close to the Mediterranean.  

It is thought that the Romans introduced them into Europe. Then the French began cooking them and they spread to our kitchens and recipe books.

I sowed over twenty of them and the Irish slugs and snails 🐌 have devoured them at night in the polytunnel leaving me with just four.  Al Stewart sung about the year of the cat.  Perhaps he should change cat to slugs?

Angus in the photo is my best specimen.  Come June they will be planted in the veg plot when all danger have frost will have past.

I chose them because they are a perennial and I like their architecture shape.  Hopefully I will be dividing them later in the year.

Have you ever tasted Globe Artichokes?  I haven't.  Have you got any ideas of how to cook their flowers or florets even?

They are a posh Thistle in all but name.

Did I ever tell you about a donkey we once owned called Trotsky?  He particularly liked to feed on Thistles.  Which we thought was good.  Until next year when we noticed lots of Thistle plants.  Trotsky never digested the seeds and his ablutions started his own Thistle plant  nursery.  

I have my own perennials nursery but I don't want a Thistle one!

10 comments:

  1. I've never been tempted to try them, so they won't be planted in my garden. I am adding a few more runner beans, as some of mine have been munched, I don't want empty post as we both love runner beans. This year I have loads of new hellebores, not planted by me, the birds work I would think, I am potting them up, to sell next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene. A lot of my veggies have been munched by slugs and 🐌. Great idea potting up the Hellebores. I have hundreds of potted up plants that I have propagated to sell at the carboot sales. It's a good hobby propagating plants.

      Delete
  2. I am tempted to plant some thistles to keep the cats from using our garden as a latrine. Do you think it would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it JayCee. GET OFf spray or pointy sticks would probably keep them off. I have a problem stopping our cats using my polytunnel.

      Delete
    2. An air rifle would work better JayCee but please don't aim at the eyes. Cat owners tend not to like to have their little darlings blinded.

      Delete
  3. Yes. I have eaten globe artichokes. They should only be eaten by posh people with refined culinary tastes - just like me. I am not sure that you are posh enough Dave. I do not mean to be rude but perhaps you would be better off sticking with bread and dripping or tripe and onions washed down with a mop bucket of Newcastle Brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point Mr Pudding. I though Manual Labour was the name of a Spanish work man.

      Delete
  4. Though not though you silly autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you realise I was jesting. You have as much right to eat a globe artichoke as any man! Plenty of recipes may be accessed via The Bible which is now known as Google.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere in my possession I can find my sense of humour YP. I have never knowingly tasted Globe Artichokes. If we are lucky enough to obtain an harvest this year I will Google recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Lets Go Planting Leeks.

 Friday morning was very wet and I used the damp opportunity to transplant twelve leek plants that we had grown from seed and I left the oth...