Wednesday 24 January 2024

A Potted Bergenia Cordifolia On My Garden Bench.


 The storms and rain appear to be relentless at the moment.  

But there are some green shoots of Spring recovery in the garden at the moment.

My Bergenias are in flower and hopefully if the rain ever abates I will hopefully attempt to sell some of my perennials at a carboot sale very soon.

Bergenias or Pig Squeak or Elephants Ears originate in China and Siberia and are very hardy.

Their leathery leaves change colour during the seasons and don't mind the salt laden rains that we get living in the countryside next to the sea.

They are very easy to propagate and I divide mine most Spring or Autumn.  

The Great English plantswoman Gertrude Jekyll (Robert Louis Stevenson) used her relations surname for his famous literary characters partner Hydes sidekick) planted them in rows and make formal herbaceous edging.

There are a plant that you plant for life and need little maintenance except to remove any spent flowers and brown leaves and to divide clumps every couple of years.


9 comments:

  1. That's my sort of flower! Little maintenance, plant for life. Must Google the Greek name. They look so familiar but can't quite place them.... Yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. An old fashioned garden favourite Linda. Their big leathery leaves are salt resistant and they attract Butterflies and Bees. Americans call them Pig Squeak. Their leather leaves make a pig squeak when you rub them. It's nice to see flowers in the garden at this time of year especially. I saw a big version of Elephants Ears in Tenerife recently. I will write a post of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find my photo of the giant elephants ears plant that we saw in Tenerife. Never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to love them - they are one of the few things that will grow on my dry shaded front 'lawn' (which is no longer lawn due to being dry and shaded - robbed by a lime tree) and is slowly being turned into a no mow 'wildlife' picnic of bergenia, storksbill geraniums, liriopes, green hellebores and euphorbia. It has taken nearly 15 years to get it to look anything but scrappy, and now we are gradually getting self-seeded (from where I know not) aquilegias and cyclamens as well. Celebrations of Bergenia - the plant that started it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see a photo of your herbaceous perennials borders Tigger's Mum. Osteospermums are another one of my favourites and I will propagate more by division and cuttings this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems cruel to plant elephant's ears. I know that bad men kill elephants for their tusks but I didn't realise that they took their ears too! Is a tree "trunk" also from an elephant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. African elephant have the biggest ears compared to Indian elephants. They must be keen gardeners who love their Bergenias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me, I need to make a trunk call.... "BELLLLLLOW!"

      Delete
  8. Why don't elephants use computers? They're scared of the mouse!

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...