Saturday 6 January 2024

Operation Fym For The Polytunnel.

 It's finally stopped raining down here on the Irish Riviera.   I wrote that yesterday.  We had rain later and frost last night and the rain always follows that.

Rain has  definitely stopped play in the gardens but that is not so with "Algarve" my polytunnel pal.

I ran some old decking planks to the dung heap and I piked and wheelbarrowed twelve loads of poultry, pig and pony plop to the raised beds in the polytunnel.  The planks resembled duck boards in WW1 trenches. 

I even took my anorak off, drank some Lucozade and read some blogs in between wheel barrowing. 

I'm pleased with the results and I will start looking/browsing seed catalogues and asking the wife to see if my German garden centre and supermarket and beer providers have any seed 🥔 in yet?

Here's a couple of photos for your perusal dear readers:

My trusty wheelbarrow resting.
There's Daffodils bulbs in the two tractor tyres. 


To paraphrase the great Jon Bon Jovi's " Livin On A Prayer".

"Livin On A Smallholding".

"It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.

We've got our very own muck🐴🐷 heap and it's hot!"



12 comments:

  1. Hot stuff, eh?
    It was very brave of you to take off your anorak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer ☀️ must be on the way? Frosty here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've got everything under control, beds filled. Happy planting now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is great inside the polytunnel Linda. Outside is a different story. I need to do some weeding and apply and collect seaweed soon. I am going to start planning what to plant this year. Think I will grow some Jerusalem Artichokes again and some sweet potatoes to go with the onions, new potatoes, beetroot, carrots, swedes, brassicas and salad crops. Not forgetting propagating more perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could really use one that size! My late partner in Wales had one like it...we grew SO much in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to have when you live in the wet and often windy West GZ. Even when it's raining we can still garden and potter about in the dry polytunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking busy in there. I hope the seed potatoes come in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope they come in soon and we can get them chitting River.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen a design for an expandable polytunnel, and I am quite intrigued with the idea. When we get to the property full time, it is something that I plan to set my hand to. My sister lives across the road, and I have access to all the fym I can shovel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds intriguing Debby. Polycarbonate sheet polytunnels are the in thing at the moment. When I had my allotments in Blighty one allotmenteer made an homemade polytunnel from plastic waterpipes for the hoops and builders polythene for the plastic covering. He had bumper crops of lettuce and tomatoes. I look forward to following your veg plot and polytunnel progress Debby. Fym is always worth collecting and you save on buying compost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if Jon Bon Jovi is also into vegetable gardening in a pair of old wellies:
    I play my part and you play your game
    You give sprouts a bad name (bad name)
    Hey, you give sprouts, a bad name

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good version YP. He also wrote Livin On An Allotment. Seriously. Did you know Jon's great uncle was Frank Sinatra?

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...