Saturday 27 January 2024

First Osteospermum Flower Of The Year.


 I walked in the polytunnel yesterday and noticed one of my Osteospermums (Cape Daisy) is in flower.

I lost most of mine when we had two weeks of snow ❄️ in 2010.  They originate in South Africa and they don't  really like snow and frost.  Yes Montbretia grows wild here and that's also originates in Africa. Not forgetting all the West Cork Fuchsia hedges that originate from Chile and so does the Gunnera.

So these days I try to remember to over winter them in a frost free place.

They are one of my favourite perennials and I am always propagating them by cuttings or by division.  I believe you can also grow them from seed.  You get about ten seeds per packet.  

There are also annual Osteospermums and these only live for a season.

I love how the flowers close up and go to sleep every night.

If you want to pick a perennial that brightens up any herbaceous border or plant pot.  Get yourself some Osteospermums.  They're beauties!

18 comments:

  1. We have one in the flower bed outside our front door. It has survived so far this winter so hopefully it will carry on flowering this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great aren't they JayCee? I believe there is snow forecast for early February so I am going to bring the rest of the Osteospermums in pots and planters inside. You should have a go at propagating them by division or cuttings. Maybe buy some rooting powder to help them strike roots? I'm always making new perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with colour is welcome here! Not much around here but white and yellow daisies. Both very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here that anything with colour is welcome here like the Bergenias and Osteospermums and soon the Daffodils and Tulips will putting in appearance. Noticed Lidl have got their cheap vegetables seeds in store today. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty flower, and all the better for being a perennial, with a bit of care

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are probably my favourite perennial GZ. They just are not keen on frost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Osteospermums are everywhere out here, great drifts of them in garden beds and along some footpaths too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Osteospermums drifts must be great to see River.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Osteospermum sounds like an unpleasant bone condition", Gerald said.
    "No! You silly sod. It's a flower!" snapped Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cape Daisies is their more simpler name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be a while before we see flowers here.😭 Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be sooner than you think hopefully Debby.

      Delete
  12. Every sign of spring gets my gardener's heart racing, problem is my back isn't as happy, but I have a 'slow' go and enjoy what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chris. I think taking it slow is the way to go when you start gardening again. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I accidentally grew some from seed when I hadn't dead headed them properly (and they were growing in pots where the seedings germinated quite happily). The resulting flowers were a mixed bag - some good some not so great. Shades of pink, purple and white mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tried saving their seeds. I could save Shasta daisy seeds also but I normally grow them by division and from cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am waiting for your blog. Really very information site. Love and bless You. I all time flow You. https://dailykholachokh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comment Milon Khan.

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...