Tuesday 16 January 2024

Smallholding Supermarket Vegetable Soup.


 Jack Frost and the wife had been out last night painting everywhere white.  I decided to have another go at soup making this morning for our din dins.

I had a look around the veg plot and dug up 3 leeks and topped and tailed them with my old bread knife and I also picked some branches of kale.  

I decided to make my very own smallholding supermarket or compromise soup even?

The homegrown veg got a rinse under the cold water tap in the kitchen and I found some  Lidl bought onions, potatoes and carrots and peeled and chopped them and mixed them up with our vegetables and put them in a pan and filled it water then I added two vegetable stock cubes and placed it on top of the gas stove to simmer for an hour or so until the vegetables felt tender.

That's my homemade smallholding vegetable soup 🍲 at the top of the page.

Yes it could be liquidfied or even chopped more but I was happy with my soup making efforts and I have just had two bowls of the stuff.

It was minus 6 in parts of Cork last night and soup 🍲 is just what you need on a cold and frosty January day.  

It's fine until weekend and then the rain gods return maybe even a storm.

I've lit the stove now to take the chill off the room.  Wouldn't it be good if we could hibernate or fly south like the birds?

Have you got any soup recipes?  I must have a go at making Mulligatawny soup some time?


10 comments:

  1. Hubby make a great mulligatawny soup, he uses his slow cooker, and also for minestrone soup, all other are made in our soup maker. We have the latter for lunch this week, perfect for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Poppypatchwork. Mulligatawny is a soup brought back from India along with Piccalilli and good old snooker. We use to buy Baxters Mulligatawny and Cock A Leekie soup when we lived over in Blighty. I think the homemade soup would go down with one of very own bacon joints. Just the ticket on a cold winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like good old leek and potato soup. I cook it much like yours then blitz it with a hand held stick blender as I like mine to be thick. Just needs a big hunk of crusty bread to mop it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes JayCee we both agreed we should have baked a loaf to go with the soup. Perhaps we should make a big batch of soup and freeze it? Dry today but cold. Back to the rain and wind again at weekend. I don't like the ice but at least it's dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I have got a great soup recipe. Go to pantry and find one can of cream of tomato soup. Open with tin opener and pour into saucepan or microwaveable dish. Heat up and pour into bowl then consume with a couple of slices of bread and butter or toast but no slurping!

    By the way, I would much rather have your earthy vegetable soup! Simple, tasty and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any soup is welcome on a cold winter's day YP. My homemade soup allows you to add your own slurps. Blessed are the cheese makers and soup makers.😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many different soups here. Yours is a good vegetable soup. Use whatever vegetables you've got handy. Sort of thing I would make. Traditionally most soups here have carrots, celery, onions and garlic and what ever the main ingredient might be, fish or meat or pigs trotters. And fresh bread is no good. It has to be heavy and stale to soak up all the juices

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never thought of stale bread being good to soak up all the juices of your soup Linda.

    In Ireland on holiday I can remember pubs having signs for Soup and Sandwiches. There would be a pan of vegetable soup permanently on the go and getting topped up all day. The sandwiches would be ham. My dad would have a pint of Guinness and my mum would ask for a "nice" cup of tea and my brother and me would have a bottle of coke or Corona each drank with a straw. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soup looks filling and warming, just as a soup should be. I cut my vegetables smaller so they fit on the spoon better and start almost all my soups with onion (or leek) garlic, and celery, gently fried until softened but not browned, then a litre carton of store bought chicken stock and everything else that I have chopped up. Usually turnip, carrots, sometimes potato, sometimes pearl barley, always parsley and maybe a splash of tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce, but tiny splashes only. If I have leftover cooked chicken that gets shredded and added too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often get told my vegetables could (should) be chopped up finer River. You sound like you have got soup making off to a fine art. They sound very tasty.

      Delete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...