Friday 19 January 2024

More Soup Making And A Home Baked Soad Bread.

 Brrr..  Another night of Jack Frost painting. Making every field and garden all look the same.

We made some more vegetable soup yesterday and baked a Odlums soda bread mix.  🍞   

It's an Irish bread mix company and costs four euros.  You just add an egg (ours are freshly laid) and some buttermilk to add to the bread mix.  

You get four loaves from one mix:

The kitchen smells wonderful and the bread tasted delicious.  I have heard that if you have got prospective house buyers coming to look around your dwelling bake bread.  The aromas will give them that "home sweet home" ambience feeling. They also said trim your bush but we won't go there because nothing's growing yet. Phew.

I once read in a book that the author knew someone who rented out their holiday home and they left a visitors book for holiday homes to leave their comments.  One person wrote: Not enough baking tins! 

It was the height of summer and someone wanted to go baking!

Any one else making or baking bread at the moment?

My MacArthur Park Alternative Lyrics. 

"Someone left my loaf out in the rain and I don' think that I can take it because it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again, oh no..  

So I went to the local supermarket and bought a Odlums bread mix like you do".  

16 comments:

  1. Getting four fresh loaves from an Odlums bread mix is pretty good. By the way I think that the advice to "trim your bush" is aimed at lady householders only. It's also good practice not to do a massive Eartha Kitt just before prospective buyers arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are also advised to polish their knob. But some of us have door bells or we just walk in and say: "How's Tings"? A customary greeting in
    West Cork YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ting Tings are an English indie pop duo from Salford, Greater Manchester formed in 2007. The band consists of Katie White (vocals, guitar, bass drums, bass guitar, cowbells) and Jules De Martino (drums, lead guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, vocals).

      Delete
    2. Yes I remember them on television. Katie is rather beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I have a bread maker which I use at least once a week and I have made soda bread from scratch a few times when I have needed a loaf in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous. Soda bread is a traditional baked loaf in Ireland. Usually baked with a cross in it to make sure it is thoroughly cooked.

      Delete
  4. I baked some baking powder biscuits to go with our cream of potato soup. We had them fresh out of the oven with butter and a dab of strawberry jam. It was a good supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds wonderful Debby. You can't beat freshly home made and home cooked food.

      Delete
  5. I tried breadmaking a couple of summers ago and it was a disaster, the bread looked terrible but tasted sort of okay; or the bread looked fabulous but was grey and doughy inside. So I gave up, telling myself I would try again one day, but that day hasn't yet arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soda bread is pretty easy River. Especially if you buy bread mixes and follow the instructions.

      Delete
  6. When my brother was selling his house he always lit the open fire and baked some bread. It worked. Being right on the ocean helped too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes a sea view does help sell a house Linda. Although you wouldn't want to live here when it's blowing a gale. Much better to be near the fire and eating some bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An Irish friend tried to tell me that baking soda in Ireland is different to England because you need coarser soda to make bread. Is that true? I could only get coarse soda in Denmark and my cake baking failed miserably, but friend pointed out that it was soda for bread. Hadnt known that. Someone gave us a beer bread pack for xmas.... have you tried one of those yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just use ordinary supermarket bought bread soda or a breadmix Tigger's Mum. Sometimes we don't use soda but buttermilk is a good addition. Never tried a beer bread mix. Be interested to see your veer bread on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've done the baking to get a good smell....and a couple of coffee beans warmed under the grill work too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the smells of home baking and real coffee GZ.

    ReplyDelete

Dividing Phormiums And Giving Them A Haircut.

Rather like vegetables. So many of our garden plants come from overseas.  I often spend time on Google looking up the etymology of our plant...