Tuesday 9 January 2024

Four Hundred London Folk Clubs.

 I have been watching some documentaries on You Tube about the great and late Sandy Denny.  

Apparently when Sandy was singing on the folk club circuit in the late 1960s.  There where over 400 folk clubs in London alone.  

It must of been amazing to see live music every night if you wanted.

I have seen Fairport Convention twice but I was far too young to see Sandy live.  She was only 31 when she died.

Someone in the video said she sang with sadness in her voice.  I think they are right and her voice gives my goose bumps sometimes. It's a profound sadness and so many artists and writers have died so young and the demons that forced them on to fame also helped bring about their demise.  I think of some of the great footballers, musicians and singers that I have seen live: Phil Lynott, Whitney Houston and Keith Emerson immediately come to mind.  So many geniuses are flawed.

It's a shame there's never been a film made about Sandy.

Here's a song she wrote when she was just 19 years of age:



16 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager she meant the world to me Dave. If I had been her boyfriend, I would have looked after her and she would still be alive today. That voice! Filled with humanity, vulnerability and understanding. You cannot fake that or teach it. There was only ever one Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humanity, vulnerability and understanding are good descriptions of Sandy's voice YP. Have a listen to Carla Fuchs Songbird on You Tube. It's great to see Sandy Denny's music still being played. Perhaps Carla could play Sandy in a film?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust you. 😊 Like those German WW2 aeroplanes. Stan Boardman's favourite anecdote. I'm not talking Messerschmitts either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. London was obviously good for folk back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blues and Prog Rock too JayCee. A lot of famous Rock stars like Eric Clapton started off in these folk and jazz clubs that Sandy sang in. Not forgetting The Streets Of London by Ralph McTell: "So how can you tell me your lonely..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived on Tyneside there were folk clubs for every night of week many times over. I saw Sandy Denny in Newcastle City Hall one snowy winter's night. She had a wonderful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a very memorable time when you lived in Newcastle Rachel. I would liked to have seen Diamondhead and Lindisfarne play the Newcastle City Hall. Sandy Denny must have been one amazing gig,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindisfarne did a Christmas special every year in the City Hall and I went to several of them. Newcastle was a great place to live and still is.

      Delete
    2. Yes,Rachel. My friend once saw them at Manchester Apollo and they gave everybody a free Christmas album. I have visited Newcastle and also Sunderland. I even visited Roker Park and saw Sunderland play Stoke way back in the 1980s.

      Delete
  8. It has been a long time since I've heard Airport Convention. Fond memories, great voice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great band and a great singer Linda. Sandy's music and songs will be played and listened to by us and future generations I think

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my and OH's favourite singer. We used to go to all the folk clubs in the 1970's in the Midlands. Had to stop due to family coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds an amazing time Gill? So many great bands both folk and rock come from the Midlands. My favourite being Magnum.

      Delete
  11. Interesting comment about demons pursuing (or inspiring, driving) artists of so many kinds - van Gogh for an example, Joplin, Amy Winehouse. Such creativity out of private toture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes TM. Amy in particular. I once wanted to be a famous author now I don't. The price is too much. Blog writing does it for me

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...