Friday 12 January 2024

How Far Jerusalem? Another Sad Day For Prog Rock Fans.

 Another one of my Rock heroes passed on the other day.  

Guitarist, song writer and co founder of Midlands Prog Rock band Magnum Tony Clarkin died aged 77.

I have been a fan of theirs for at least forty years and I was privileged to have seen them play live a couple of times.

The most memorable gig I attended of theirs was "Garden Party" at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1986.  

Tickets were just 12 Pounds to see Mamas Boys, Magnum, Gary Moore and his band, Jethro Tull and Marillion.  It was a gorgeous summers day and a good time was had by all.  Nineteen  of us travelled down to Milton Keynes in the back of a hired Luton van.  Happy days,

Now 37 years later and the 23 year old punter (me) is now  60 and I'm playing lots of old Magnum tracks today.

Why they never became a Whitesnake or Deff Leppard I don't  know?  Their record sleeves were works of art covered in dragons and mythical creatures and faraway paradises.  That was back in the day when albums had concepts and themes.

Here's one of my favourite tracks: "How Far Jerusalem?" 

Apparently it's meaning is about social lepers in society .  I use to think of  a weary soldier on his horse riding to the Crusades and shouting: "How Far Jerusalem?"



Thanks for the great lyrics and songs Tony!  

9 comments:

  1. A sad day but reminders of what you enjoyed and being able to play them back is a bonus of modern life isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It says three score and ten for our lifetime Tigger's Mum. It is good to remind us of our good times and thanks to good old YouTube I can sometimes find concerts and festivals I went to. I'm itching to see another Rock band but they don't come to West Cork so I will have to wait for the summer and visit Blighty again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a storyteller's night was one of my favourites of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also my favourite record of theirs. Great band Mrs LH.

      Delete
  4. Magnum would have had far more success if they had not named themselves after a chocolate-covered ice cream lolly. If they had come to me I would have been able to supply several better names that young rock fans would have latched onto such as Armageddon, Pandemic, Satan's Whoremongers, The Rees-Moggs and JayCee and The Moonshine Band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think music is like writers YP. Many are called but few are chosen. Magnum should have been the English equivalent to Styx or Saga or Rush or my favourite Kansas. Give Magnum a few hours listen and I am sure you will like them.

    JayCee and The Moonshiners IoM world tour 24.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance of a world tour of West Cork?

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing Outside In The Veg Plot.

 I said the other day I would take some shots of what's growing outside in the veg plot at the moment. Bim potatoes.  I thought the tube...