Wednesday 20 March 2024

A Parting Glass Find In The Charity Shop.

 The missus found this very old hand blown drinking glass in a charity shop the other day:

We watched Antiques Roadshow a week a two ago and a 200 years old drinking glass was valued at 1000 Pounds.  She said:  "What do you reckon?"  I nodded in agreement and we bought it! 

I am not saying ours is worth that but it was certainly worth the one Euro we paid for it!

It looks like a parting glass.  When people would have a glass of whiskey or whisky with their departing guests and you would probably say:

"One for the road!"


Here's an apt song to go with this post.  It's more of my dad's favourite music.  Today it's " The Parting Glass" by The Clancy Brothers.  The Arran jumper folk group that inspired Bob Dylan:

I should have worn my Arran jumper to write this post.  Hope you like it Tasker?

On writing this post I have just found a version of the song by Loreena Mckennit today.  She is a Canadian singer who I only discovered in the last couple of years.  If she ever does a world tour of West Cork I would buy a ticket or two.  She can be on the same bill with Saga, Styx and Kansas.  




19 comments:

  1. That is an attractive glass.. whatever it is worth it looks as if would be nice to drink from

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is old and got an history and artisan and definitely not factory made GZ. If only it could speak and tell us how it survived so long? Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way will that hold a bottle of Newcastle Brown. You'll have to continue drinking it straight out of the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only Tasker. They call it a bottle of dog in Leeds. I use to work with Mick from Dewsbury. He told me that along with his belief that everybody south of Sheffield is a Cockney. What a character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does the underside look like? Rough, snapped looking or smooth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got ridges on the underside Tom. Do you wish to purchase it or maybe some of my perennials plants or fresh hen and duck eggs? Like Greggs we take cash.

      Delete
    2. I would buy your eggs if you were closer.

      Delete
    3. Buy or barter Tom. We have more piglets this morning.

      Delete
  6. I love the song and the custom. It is actually how I intend to take my leave. There will be no service. I will be cremated. My remains will be dumped in a hole and a lilac tree plopped on top. A bottle will be shared. Remembrances shared. And every spring, I hope the smell of lilacs reminds my children of their mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I definitely want to be buried and have a grave and "Parisienne Walkways" by Thin LIzzy and "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas played at my funeral Debby. It's good that you have yourcfuneral plans made. I have made my will. We love the glass.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers JayCee. There is a saying: "Cheers Big Ears". The response is: "It's what you knows Big Nose". Safe journey back today JayCee.

      Delete
  8. I like the look of that 'owd drinking glass. I would wrap my mitt around it and sup - wishing good health to all who dwell on The Sheep's Head Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pleasing shaped glass makes your brew taste so much better.
    I really like the music

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree Linda. Especially a whisky glass containing Dalwhinnie Scottish malt whisky. We love old and shiny things. I think we must of been Wombles or Magpies in another life.😊 We have surrounded in Irish Irish mizzle this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS Have you ever heard Hozier's version of the song. I like his version a lot mainly because the words are clear and dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Debby. All I know by him is his "Get me to church" song. I will Google it thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very good cover of the song Debby.

      Delete

More Charity Shop Treasure Finds.

My brother gave us two pictures  he found and bought in a charity shop recently. The picture above is a Pears soap Victorian lady sat  on a ...