Thursday 21 March 2024

Digging.


 I dug my outside potatoes 🥔 trenches the other week but rain stopped play and we are waiting for things to dry up a bit.

My Irish grandfather would always plant his British  Queens and Kerr Pinks seed potatoes 🥔 around Saint Patrick's Day but this year rain has stopped play and potatoes  planting is on hold for the  time being.

I did however manage to plant my Jerusalem Artichokes in muddy conditions.  Let's hope they don't rot and we have an endless supply of sun chokes or "farty" chokes?

I could do with one of those posh country estate boot scrapers like the metal Scottish terrier we saw on Antiques Road trip the other evening.  

I wish we could go on that programme.  We would find a lot more treasure for far less money.  What is that programme called where they go round antique and flea markets in France and bring it back to Blighty and attempt to flog it to antique shops and make a profit?

Anyway or any road. The digging is done and potatoes are chitting nicely in our "Chitting Room" and soon I will plant them outside.  At least we have potatoes growing in the polytunnel.

Here is a poem about digging:





12 comments:

  1. When I had an allotment on Hagg Hill in west Sheffield, the old men who had adjoining allotments told me that in Sheffield the accepted custom was to plant your chitted potatoes on Good Friday - even though Good Friday is variable. All those old men will now be dead as I am thinking back to 1982-1989.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Good Friday is often a traditional time to plant pots YP. We live on the Gulf Stream and people often use to set potatoes in February. 2010 was very bad for snow and ice and it is said such a deluge only occurs every 50 years.

      Delete
  2. I do like potatoes so much, but will have to be satisfied with supermarket ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have planted potatoes in September River and we have ate them at Christmas.

      Delete
  3. I am very impressed with the things that you find. Remember the ruler that our daughter and son in law sent from England for my husband's Christmas? He was so pleased with it. A couple weeks ago, we were at the Salamanca Antiques Mall. A gentleman had a lot of 6 of those rulers. He wanted $750 for them! Quite honestly, I often think if there was a way to work out to get things shipped from there to here at a reasonable rate, there would be a good deal of money to be made. Your 'old' and our 'old' are worlds apart. I am curious to see if you can get your parting glass appraised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debby. There is a lot of fake antiques in antique shops these days but there are still old things to be found. Experts on Antiques Roadshow and the like only give guesstimate and anything is only worth what people will give you on the day of the sale. I am more of a collector than someone who aims to sell to make a profit. I just purchase what I like. It's a good hobby collecting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right that an item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it.

      Delete
    2. Yes Debby. A wise old auctioneer once said to me: "It doesn't matter what it was worth in the past or what it is worth in the future. It's what it is worth on the day". Selling can be like fishing. Sometimes you catch the big fish and sometimes they are not biting (selling) or they get away.

      Delete
  5. Pirate's brother had been helping all his neighbours with his "Iron Horse", making the furrows to plant potatoes on Good Friday in Kent 66 years ago...he then went to his garden at dusk to do the same, clipped one of the plum trees and the handle killed him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh!! What an awfully sad and tragic accident GZ. I have been to Rock festivals in Faversham. Kent is a beautiful county. The Garden of England even.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day rain, one day sunshine here. Typical March weather. But it's 18oC and rising

    ReplyDelete
  8. April showers brings May flowers. Shame it is March. A dry day today and I planted my outdoor veg. That's a post for later. It's 9 degrees here. 18 degrees sounds just the ticket Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...