Friday 8 March 2024

The Eighties.

 Tasker and Yorkshire Pudding posted two excellent posts about the nineteen eighties and Thatcher's awful Britain under her control. Mass unemployment and a divided country and haves and have nots.  

The two blog posts jogged my mental juke box.  Here is three songs that say it all for me about those awful years.  At least music was good back then:


The track said it all.


The end of free music festivals in England.


God bless the miners.  I collected money for them.  The salt of the earth.

A plant post  again tomorrow.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that last song in particular - "Cole Not Dole". I had not heard it before and I found it very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks YP. Chumbawamba are a band with members from Burnley and Leeds. I have had over 1800 views today. Your the only one to comment so far. I suppose blogs are like newspapers and you read them and you don't have to write a letter commenting to the editor? It is a very moving song. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that the Levellers had sung about the Battle of the Beanfield.
    A friend was in part of the convoy that was behind and stopped early elsewhere... fortunately. Have you seen the programme on U tube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GZ. I would love to see the Levellers. I only discovered the song recently. I remember the right wing newspapers reporting about the Battle of the Beanfield saying the coaches had no road tax and how the police gave them diesel for free. They never reported that they attacked a peace convoy going to a free music festival near Stonehenge. Greenham was similar along with the miners. I have seen the You Tube programme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting sounds, that last one being a heartbreaker. Is that Billy Idol in the first clip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an heartbreaker River. Beautiful and poignant. I don't think it's him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

More Charity Shop Treasure Finds.

My brother gave us two pictures  he found and bought in a charity shop recently. The picture above is a Pears soap Victorian lady sat  on a ...