Wednesday 18 May 2022

A Bucket Full Of Dandelions.



 No not yet another name for a Prog Rock group or even a concept album title. Remember that tv drama 'A Bouquet Of Barbed Wire'?  I love brilliant titles. Not forgetting Susan Penhaligon.  What about Julie Christie in Billy Liar or Far From The Madding Crowd? 


A bucket full of Dandelions.

You know you have lost the plot when you find yourself hand picking Dandelions.  No I am not making Dandelion wine or Dandelion and Burdock.  

Oh for Blighty stuff like Dandelion and Burdock and Barrs 'Strike' Cola.  We use to call them minerals back in the day and we would take back the empty bottles to get our 10 pence deposit back from the newsagents or chippy.  They call it "the chipper" here in Hibernia.

Which nineteen fifties pop group is still going today? Ben Shaws! That's an old joke.  They are from Huddersfield.  

I picked the Dandelions for my piggy wigs and they loved them.  I suppose in yuppy pubs  they would serve Dandelion salad?  "Cassandra did you sprinkle them in Balsamic vinegar?"

Do you make Dandelion tea, wine or eat the leaves or feed them to your livestock?


Remember this:




14 comments:

  1. I feed ours to the compost bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back writing blog posts JayCee. I don't pick Dandelions until everything is in flower. It's early nectar for the bees. Full of potassium and good for the compost heap. They are also a diuretic and good for reducing high blood pressure.

      Delete
  2. Dad and I used to pick dandelion flowers for wine when I was about nine or ten years old. Only made it once when I was grown up as you had to dry off the flower heads on newspaper and we had no room to spread them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SueJay. Dandelion sounds different. There are so many wild flowers that have many uses. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make dandelion tea from the young leaves. It is good for health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good Rachel. I see Holland and Barrett sell Dandelion Tea. Our livestock love Dandelions if we pick them or they graze them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dandelion don't tell no lies
    Dandelion will make you wise
    Tell me if she laughs or cries
    Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion
    Blow away dandelion
    Blow away dandelion
    Blow away dandelion

    By The Rolling Stones (1967)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YP. Good song choice. I like Angie and Ruby Tuesday of course. Did you ever see the Stones? I remember Stones bitter.

      Delete
    2. Nope! Never saw The Rolling Stones but I still drink Stones when I visit "The Hammer and PIncers".

      Delete
    3. How I miss good old English bitter. Especially the stuff from Up North.

      Delete
  7. We used to be amused by the ducks eating the flowers off dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aint no piggy wiggies around here that are going to eat our dandelions! They are a prized green that we pay around 4 euros a kilo, before they have the flowers. My husband loves them, boiled and served with olive oil and lemon juice. Sometimes he drinks the water they were boiled in too. Puts hairs on your chest he says, in greek.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dandelions sound a delicacy in Poros Linda? I love lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...