Thursday 12 May 2022

"Lucky Man"


 I have been reading another autobiography over the last couple of weeks on Kindle.  

Lucky Man Greg Lake's  personal story of how he was born in a working class home in Poole in  Dorset and got a guitar for Christmas and had guitar lessons and wrote 'Lucky Man' when he was a lad and went on to join a group of home county solicitors (Emerson, Lake and Palmer) or even surely the most magnificent Prog band to come from England.

Prolific blog writer Yorkshire Pudding saw the Nice and I think he saw ELP at the  Isle Of Wight Festival in 1970?  I was lucky enough to see them live at Manchester Apollo in October 1992.  Well so Professor Google informs me.

I will never forget Keith Emerson sticking his SS daggers (Lemmy from Motorhead use to source them for him according to Rick Wakeman) into a screaming organ.  Was it a Moog? Whilst hanging precariously off the edge of the stage.  ELP were truly awesome.

The book is very good and Greg talks about the amazing concerts when they played in exotic places like Madison Square Garden in New York and when they played Wigan.  At least they would have got some decent meat and potato pies there.🎸😊.

One festival they played was in front of 500,000 people and he even saw Elvis Presley play the compere say: "Elvis has left the building".

Sadly Greg and Keith went to play the greatest Rock festival in Heaven but their videos and records legacy live on:

Did you ever see ELP?





18 comments:

  1. I saw King Crimson more than once and I was later a great fan of ELP. I had three ELP albums. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great Prog Rock bands Rachel and Greg was in both of them. ELP at Manchester Apollo is one of the best Rock gigs I have ever attended. Keith Emerson was a keyboard wizard. Brilliant band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have seen Nice as well but I cannot be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Rachel. Carl Palmer was in Atomic Rooster who I will be hopefully seeing this Summer.

      Delete
  4. I think I had a deprived youth. I never went to any festivals or rock concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a shame JayCee. Did you have a favourite singer or band you liked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my tastes would have been considered quite "soft"in my early teens but I listened to almost everything... except heavy metal.

      Delete
  6. Who like please JayCee? My music taste is very eclectic. From Brass Bands, Punk Rock, Folk, Pop, Metal, Rock to good old Kansas my favourite Prog Rock band of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the risk of embarrassing myself, my very first favourite group was The Monkees. I knew every word of each of their songs and would sing along into my hairbrush. I was too young to know any better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm a believer" lyrics are poetic JayCee. The Stranglers were the band who I always wanted to see. Thanks be to God (West Cork saying) I will be seeing Hugh Cornwell later this year. No there is nothing wrong with the Monkees.

      Delete
  8. You called me a "prolific blog writer" which sounds good and has made my head inflate to the size of a geography teacher's globe. Yes I did see Emerson Lake and Palmer - more than once and as I have trumpeted before - Keith Emerson was a goddamn keyboard genius in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first LP was Deja Vu, but my second d was ELP, From The Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith Emerson was a show man and keyboard wizard YP. Amazing band.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have got good music taste Debby. Do you like Kansas?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rural NZ didn't get many visits from the sorts of stars you describe unfortunately. Our homegrown ones had to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rural NZ sounds like rural Ireland Tigger. It's Dublin or over to England. I am hopefully seeing my first concert since 2019 in a fortnight. Fingers cossed or paws even Tigger.

    ReplyDelete

Weeding And Pointing The Second Hand Patio.

 Do you remember when I made a patio with old paving slabs last year?  I had repurposed them from a path that was no longer needed.  A year ...