Wednesday 10 May 2023

A Perennial That Survived The Blitz.


 This perennial is called Saxifraga X Urbium or London Pride.  

I have seen it growing wild here in Cork and Kerry.

It is said to colonize the burned out gardens after the London Blitz during WW2.  I have seen Buddleia plants growing in the concrete at train stations in Bristol.

It was one of the first perennials to flower and it symbolizes that Phoenix rise from the London ashes.  It reflects the indomitable London blitz spirit that people and nature will always recover.





It's a nice garden perennial to have and you get many new plants in Spring.

12 comments:

  1. It is indeed a hardy perennial. A nice beer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Traveller . I prefer Newcastle Brown but it's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I prefer Fullers ESB, but my fav is Abbott Ale from Greene King

      Delete
    2. Doombar is another favourite when I'm on one of my roughing it hiking and Rock festival trips to Blighty and I pop in Wetherspoons for a few beers, breakfast and charge my mobile.

      Delete
  3. It takes me back to my mother's garden. There was some London Pride growing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Rachel. They are a old cottage garden favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't understand what Noel Coward was singing as his English pronunciation was so careless and slovenly. He would have benefited from a speech therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lyrics of London Pride are well worth reading YP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have just cleared up one of our unresolved mysteries - why it was called that. My humans agree that imbibing Doombar is a pleasant pasttime. I, the Tigger, reserve my judgment on that. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the etymology of plant names Tigger. Doombar is made by a Cornish brewery and very nice so it is. I wish we had such beer beverages over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing something that survives and thrives and always comes back is just the encouragement this world needs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bomb proof plants Debby. I thought of the war torn areas in the world when I wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete

Nets And Net Curtains To Keep The Birds 🐦 Off My Vegetables.

 The pests of the air had a good aerial attack of some of my brassicas in my plastic raised beds on Friday. So it was all hands on deck and ...